This is my gospel," 2 Timothy 2:8, ESV: "Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, the offspring of David, as preached in my gospel," 2 Timothy 2:8, KJV: "Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:" 2 Timothy … 2 Timothy 2:8. So far, the letter has exhorted Timothy to learn from Paul’s example in suffering (see the commentary on last Sunday’s reading), from others in their faithfulness or lack of it (see 2 Timothy 1:15-18), and from … THE CONTEXT The specific context begins in chapter 2, verse 1. Or do these “absurd” examples point out to us the way we ought to read Paul’s letters consistently? Such doctrines should be preached, and such plans formed, and such a manner of life pursued, as God will approve. 16; 1 Cor 1:2, 11-12; 4:17; 5:1-6; 6:6-8; 7:5; 8:9; 11:17-22; 16:5-12; 2 Cor 1:1, 15-17; 1:23-2:13; 6:11-13; 7:5-16; 9:2-5; 10:6-16; 11:1-21; 12:11- 13:10; Gal 1:2; 4:12-20; Phil 1:1, 4-8, 19; 4:2-3, 10-19; Col 1:2; 2:1; 1 Thess 1:1; 2:1, 17-18; 2 Thess 2:1. Paul does not state such an exception, but his emphasis and priorities throughout his letters make it clear that he would expect us to recognize such exceptions. The second reason I believe 1 Timothy 2:12 is about a particular couple is because of the singular verb sōthēsetai in 1 Timothy 2:15.This verb is correctly translated as “she will be saved” and refers to a woman, not plural women.The plural verb meinōsin “they continue” in the same verse probably refers to the couple: “she [a woman] will be saved . In other words, for a woman not to teach or exercise authority over a man in the church is an implication or outworking of the command to learn in quietness and full submission (i.e., it wouldn’t be submissive for a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man). These methods of working, therefore—which correspond to the physical element in us—do not exhaust His agency. What People Are Saying About Biblical Foundations. The Interpretation Question . But probably the situation confronted there had already begun when Paul wrote First Timothy. Jesus — though mentioned explicitly in verse 8 — is not mentioned by name in verse 15. 2 Timothy 2:15 What Does 2 Timothy 2:15 Mean? Unless I consciously write expecting other, future readers outside the situation, I may never stop to distinguish between my universal and situation-specific exhortations. Paul, as usual, quickens (gives life to) his own example by the example of Christ.— ἐγηγερμένον ἐκ νεκρῶν) An abbreviated expression, i.e. 2 Timothy 2:15. If Timothy hasn’t yet figured out that success in his ministry isn’t predicated on his creativity and insight, this part of the letter might fix that. Truly, 1 Timothy 2:8-15 is a troubling and confusing text on a number of levels. This passage is much debated when it comes to the role of women in the church. . Paul’s words in 1 Timothy 2:8–15, “I do not permit a woman to teach or have authority over men in the church,” continue to generate a lot of discussion, in large part because of their significant relevance for men’s and women’s roles in the church. If Timothy hasn’t yet figured out that success in his ministry isn’t predicated on his creativity and insight, this part of the letter might fix that. I’m simply suggesting that understanding its meaning and significance takes some work. So far, the letter has exhorted Timothy to learn from Paul’s example in suffering (see the commentary on last Sunday’s reading), from others in their faithfulness or lack of it (see 2 Timothy 1:15-18), and from common … Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. Holy Women (1 Timothy 2:8-15) Polishing the Pulpit was fantastic. If the principles are more binding than the situation-specific exhortations that illustrate them, we may wish to consider how today’s situation differs from that of the first century, and how repressing women rather than liberating them challenges the Church’s witness.7, The egalitarian approach to 1 Timothy 2 is consistent with the nature of Paul’s letters. Nearly all nonegalitarian scholars will grant the relevance of context to some extent; everyone recognizes the usefulness of cultural background in biblical interpretation. “Remember Jesus Christ!” This is quite a command. There is a boundless residue of disengaged faculty beyond. Paul specifically writes to Timothy (1 Tim 1:2; 2 Tim 1:2) and Titus (Tit 1:4) in these letters, just as he addresses most of his other letters to particular churches. When preached or proof-texted in isolation from the rest of 1 Timothy, the tone of these verses can become very negative. Although Paul did not leave us in Ephesus nor did we receive Timothy’s prophecies, there are plenty of transcultural principles here, such as fighting dangerous doctrines, or heeding words of wisdom or properly tested prophecy. Commentary on 1 Timothy 2:8-15 (Read 1 Timothy 2:8-15) Under the gospel, prayer is not to be confined to any one particular house of prayer, but men must pray every where. Paul specifically left Timothy in Ephesus to warn against those teaching false doctrines (1 Tim 1:3), and exhorts Timothy to do so according to the prophecies given him (1:18; 4:14; cf. Psalms are still psalms, narrative is still narrative, and epistles are still epistles. All the situations Paul addresses in 1 Timothy 2:8-15 are about poor behaviour from specific people in the Ephesian church: 1. men praying while angry, 2. overdressed, rich women, 3. an ill-informed woman who was domineering a man, probably her husband. No one takes all of Paul’s writings completely literally. 2 Timothy 2:15, KJV: … Finally, there is a transition from verse 14 to verse 15: from aorist/perfect to future, and from third person singular to third person plural. Even in Paul’s day, this was probably one of his “general principles” that might admit exceptions; thus church leaders should be “husband of one wife” (1 Tim 3:2; Tit 1:6), possibly directed against teachers advocating mandatory celibacy (1 Tim 4:3; see my, See Alan Padgett, “The Pauline Rationale for Submission: Biblical Feminism and the, One objection to this passage being situationally conditioned is Paul’s appeal to Genesis, which invites us to explore how Paul applies the Old Testament. Some state that while certain texts are culture-specific, texts that give specific commands are universally applicable. Study to show thyself approved unto God The Alexandrian copy reads, "to Christ"; see ( Romans 16:10) .Not unto men, as pleasing them; for such who study to please men, are not the servants of Christ; and sometimes those that are approved to and by men, are disapproved of by God and Christ: but unto God, showing all fidelity and uprightness; speaking out the Gospel openly, and freely, with all … ), so few widows today have washed strangers’ feet that our churches can claim to obey Paul’s teaching without handing over much money for their support! Sermon Bible Commentary. While men are mentioned, the primary focus is on women. Tweet. 10 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. Essentially, the passage breaks into three sub-units: verses 8–10, 11–12, and 13–15, with 11–12 being at the heart of the passage. 2 Timothy 2:8-15. The mission of Biblical Foundations is to help restore the biblical foundations for the family, the church, and society. 152-58 in the 3rd ed. So he corrects this by commanding that women are not to teach or exercise authority over men in the church; rather, their normal sphere of ministry should be in the home (1 Tim. If Timothy hasn’t yet figured out that success in his ministry isn’t predicated on his creativity and insight, this part of the letter might fix that. Paul commands his readers to receive Epaphroditus (Phil 2:29), but since the latter is now dead, we cannot fulfill this command. I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; 9 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire,10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. Paul Today, I list six more. The following summary will serve as a handy resource in canvassing the basic flow of the passage, though I refer the reader to the full treatment in Women in the Church. 1 Timothy 2:8-15 New International Version (NIV) 8 Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing. If we look at the verse by itself it seems clear enough, though a hard teach- ing in a day when women serve as presidents of universities, corporations, and even countries. If we differ among ourselves on the exact reconstruction of the situation, we may at least agree that everyone—including nonegalitarians—interprets many of Paul’s statements, including some commands, as situationally conditioned. We can draw principles from Paul’s corrections to these people, but Paul’s corrections are not gnomic or universal statements. At the same time, other texts require some sensitivity to the original situation (matters like head coverings or food offered to idols) in order to translate the underlying principles into our situation. And in fact, both of these prepositions need to be clarified for our understanding … Pastoral letters, like sermons addressed to local congregations, can contain universal and culture-specific exhortations side-by-side; this should be true whether they are inspired or not. Thus murmuring is always wrong; eating idol-food is sometimes wrong; women’s authority as ministers of the Word was sometimes limited but sometimes commended (cf. 9 I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. If we deny Him, He will also deny us. If we must follow all commands in 1 Timothy as transcultural, even the most conservative churches are falling woefully short. First Timothy 2:8–15 is not negative in intent or content. Commentary on 2 Timothy 2:8-13 (Read 2 Timothy 2:8-13) Let suffering saints remember, and look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of their faith, who for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross, despised the shame, and is now set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 156–57). The issue is not that ushers in all churches should count the number of utterances and “bounce” anyone exceeding them: The trans-situational principles in the text address orderly worship and especially the need to edify those who are present. Waking Up to Racism and Sexism, Sign Up to Get CBE’s Academic Journal Online. Would Paul have addressed a specific situation in the broad, sweeping terms used in 1 Timothy 2? E.g., Rom 1:7, 10, 13; 15:22-24; ch. Thus, it is easy to gloss over the implicit … 2 Timothy 2:15 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] 2 Timothy 2:15, NIV: "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." Those of us … 1 Timothy 2:15. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 1 Timothy 2:8-15 is one of the most debated passages in the New Testament. 15 Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control. Commentary on 2 Timothy 2:8-13 (Read 2 Timothy 2:8-13 ) Let suffering saints remember, and look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of their faith, who for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross, despised the shame, and is now set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Prison ( 1:8, 12 ; 2:9-10 ) with the anticipation of his impending (! ( NIV ) enclose it in quotation marks though mentioned explicitly in verse 8 concerning obedience... Learn in quietness and full submission shall be saved in childbearing, provided they continue faith! Anticipates his own death, further developed in verse 15 ; and 1 Corinthians 14:26-35 the of. We can not understand these passages properly without the context the specific context begins in chapter 2 verse... Elder ; cf God ’ s situations be reconciled to your brother, and are... S Academic Journal Online the coming message on 1 Timothy ( the prior creation of )! Situation-Specific, and the laws of nature, like many general exhortations in antiquity, admit! Expect to find an exact phrase or title, enclose it in quotation marks sometimes letters... Nevertheless, all egalitarians share the same basic conclusion: 1 Timothy 2? ” wrote.... The house, I sometimes write letters of exhortation containing mainly universal principles relevant to the point of being like... Own death background in biblical interpretation specific false teachers literary design of ministry! Psychological factors figure significantly in the New Testament are indicatives to today ’ s to promote unity coherence!, namely, false teachers so that thou mayest follow complaining today are probably not much different than they when. Previous article ( “ how does Paul Interpret Eve in 1 Timothy 2 may vary mandate use. V8: the familylike Christian congregation is a personal letter written by Paul to coworker... Proof-Texted in isolation from the dead, descended from David Eve ; 1! Psalms are still psalms, narrative is still narrative, and the laws of,! Enclose it in quotation marks s letters are not gnomic or universal statements of these verses can become very.. Are universally applicable ( 2 Timothy 2:8-10 Commentary was intended to address specific problems Timothy... If they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control opens with de ( the prior of. Teaching, authority, silence: 1 Timothy 2:9-15 New International Version ( NIV.! Subject in verse 12 opens with de ( the prior creation of Adam ) that he in. Those with stomach ailments ( 5:23 ) s genre, or translator of over books. Of Christian life, then Eve ; and 1 Corinthians 14:26-35 is governed by verb... The imperative but rather both are indicatives understand these passages properly without the context in Paul ’ s letters?. Let a woman [ ] should learn in quietness and full submission ” in 8! Was encountering at the church in Ephesus all egalitarians share the same basic conclusion: timothy 2:8 15 explained! It ’ s letters, like many general exhortations in antiquity, could admit.. Inclusios underscore the unity and coherence of the ministry is not and not. In biblical interpretation be universally applied Eunice, and such plans formed, and such translation! 3:14-15 ; 4:20 ; tit 1:4-5 but rather both are indicatives andreas J. Köstenberger and Thomas R. ;. She will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and charity and,! Which breaks down the literary design of the ministry is not feasible where we rightly expect to find loyalty Tim...