Darby Bible Translation. The Bible provides light to avoid pitfalls in the path of life. 2 Timothy 2:15 says, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” This exhortation from the Apostle Paul is one we should all consider. Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers (15) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed. Rightly dividing the Word of Truth—knowing the Bible, inside and out—takes a lifetime. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible: While very expensive, this five-volume set is probably the best Bible dictionary money can buy. 4:12). Try to study at a time when you can concentrate without distraction. Ephesians 5:25-26 reveals the washing or cleansing effect that comes from Bible study: “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the Church, and gave Himself for it; that He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word.”, This is echoed in Hebrews 10:22: “Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.”. In prophecy, duality indicates the “type” and the “anti-type.” This means the former fulfillment as opposed to the later, climactic, major fulfillment of prophecy. You might choose a particular book because it puts a crisis or particular interest into better perspective. Keeping Bible study simple makes it easier to tackle these subjects. Some may need correcting and updating! First, we must ask, why study the Bible? To be that diligent, approved workman, he would have to correctly handle the word of truth, what the King James Version renders, rightly dividing the word of truth. God’s Holy Spirit opens one’s mind to this spiritual understanding (Psa. The Amplified Bible: The King James Version with modern English updates. Share F. More Quotes on Truth. My pastor, which I call Lolo Pastor (grandpa+pastor) is very close to us. 2 Timothy 2:15, NLT: "Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. An authoritative two-part history relating to the Bible. To diligently read your Bible is to listen to what God is saying to you. 10:17). The same verse also speaks of other benefits. Here is one tip for someone accepting the challenge to “read the Book.” Before beginning the project, you may wish to read our series THE STORY OF THE BIBLE. I am not happy going to church anymore but feel sadder not to be there. But what. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. —Timothy, and those in the position of Timothy, were to show themselves approved unto God, by turning others, over whom they possessed influence, from the pursuit of vain and unprofitable things. Earlier in the chapter (2 Timothy 2:3-5), Paul encouraged him to hard work and endurance for … Study the background of a particular book. Calvin's Commentary on the Bible. Some Bible software packages have Nave’s Topical Bible integrated into their software. Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. I listen to music when I was on my pad. Although an ideal situation might not exist immediately, actively plan and strive to make arrangements for better conditions in which to study the Bible. This one is also well known and widely used. It will involve bringing an open mind, an open heart, and a faithful life to the word of truth. If studied correctly, the Bible will make you “wise unto salvation.” It imparts the wisdom to survive and grow while we continue in the proving ground of qualifying for the first resurrection. This is not an exhaustive list, but it gives one an idea of the wide variety of invaluable helps that one could reference. Baker’s Bible Atlas: This helpful tool shows geographical locations and gives detailed explanations of the culture of ancient times. Also, many of these helps are available free of charge on the Internet. 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. Being an approved workman involves much more. Everything is different already. By using our site, you agree to the use of cookies. Our website uses cookies to function properly. As you examine the following objectives, keep in mind that they are not listed in any particular order. In making time for study, different people have employed different strategies. By contrast, Bible study washes the individual. I had a gift to know people… I have studied psychology by myself through reading and watching videos. The analogy of water washing the body is not to be confused with the water of baptism. You build faith by studying the many examples of God’s faithful servants (Rom. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But I know I love Jesus like I was young. Barnes' Notes on the Bible. I never knew or had any granpa since then. Taking in the Word of God for spiritual nourishment surpasses the need of taking in physical food. Ironically, many avoid studying the Bible because they feel overwhelmed. This command comes from the (likely) last letter the apostle Paul ever penned, to his protege, the young preacher Timothy. Diligence is an attitude of the heart, not an activity of the head. It is possible to pursue short- and medium-term goals at the same time. If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us (2 Timothy 2:12). This commentary also has a condensed single-volume version. This could include the time and circumstances in which the book was written. All Christians should be aware of what Paul said in 2 Timothy 2:15: “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman who needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (KJV). This could be assisted by certain Bible helps such as concordances or topical Bibles. Study a chapter of the Bible. In this case, water symbolizes burial of the individual being baptized. I don’t think I can go back to my Church anymore like old days. Until… when I got college, my mom and my Lolo Pastor had a conflict and separated from the church. There are also a variety of websites where one can purchase such references on-line. When you study the Bible, God’s Spirit leads you into understanding more truth. Each of these categories will be listed below with suggested examples. The Restored Church of God is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. 3:15). Since I was raise, my mom is already a church missionary. Prayer is talking to God. To God be the glory. Only by fully appreciating it will we act on it. While some may be too expensive to purchase, you may be able to access them at your local library or via the Internet. The Scriptures help you to recognize and shun error. Salvation is creation: The process of salvation involves the development of godly character in those who are called and who overcome. American Standard Version Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright the word of truth. For more information: See our privacy policy, Jesus Christ spoke constantly about the kingdom of God. Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. These are projects that might extend a few days, weeks, or months. II Timothy. Return to visit your friends and church if you need to but do not turn your heart away from God. The same verse also speaks of other benefits. Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15 reads: “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (KJV). 2. a worker. True biblical knowledge and understanding come from diligent effort and God’s Spirit working in you. I know I am wrong, but I am having a hard time to be right. you may be missing a wonderful blessing by not being with other believers in a church where the truth is taught. Herbert W. Armstrong taught seven keys to understanding the Bible. Bible verses about Study To Show Thyself Approved. I have prayed, still I don’t know the answer. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. Many of these and other items can be purchased “used” at a fraction of the “new” price. This gives an overall foundational understanding, which can be built upon in the future. Others have memorized the entire Bible, yet do not understand it. II Timothy 2:15 admonishes, “Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” The apostle Paul tells us that proper Bible study leads to approval from God. In order thereunto, there must be constant care and industry: Study to show thyself such a one, a workman that needs not be ashamed. Others set aside time later at night—a practice that works for some, but not everyone. Oxford Bible Atlas: Similar to Baker’s Atlas and of equal quality, with differing emphasis. This process takes place as one internalizes God’s Word. This Spirit imparts spiritual understanding of Scripture and helps you to apply these principles in daily life. My tears is all my perks every time I remember my local church. Instead, studying becomes fulfilling and satisfying. When one memorizes key scriptures, the purpose should never be to recite them to impress others, but to internalize the scriptures and apply them in your life. Also review your margin notes. Read all the Major Prophets: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel. King James Bible. The Companion Bible: This Bible is filled with historical, scriptural and linguistic details. First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is vital! a. Study for comfort. I had a long struggle already. Duality: The method of duality runs through every phase of God’s plan, such as: the physical creation and the spiritual creation; the first Adam and the second Adam; the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. If faced with a physical affliction, you may want to study healing. Some have no interest in studying it. Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. My mom still serving with God to a different Pastor which is my Lolo’s missionary and a Doctor. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. God has commanded their observance forever. Adam Clarke’s Commentary: Another six-volume set. The Jamieson, Fausset and Brown One-volume Commentary on the Bible: Although their full commentary covers six volumes, this JFB one-volume commentary is perhaps the most highly recommended of all single-volume editions. Remember, the value of undertaking these projects and goals is to instill the habit and desire to study God’s Word. Without this knowledge, prophecy cannot be understood. God’s Sabbath: The seventh-day Sabbath is the test commandment that professing Christianity refuses to obey. Bible study is instrumental in getting us there. I love him so much with my Lola Mary. The truth about Israel: The true identity of the lost tribes of Israel and their importance in the world today. Manners and Customs of the Bible: By James Freeman. This leads to the desire to repent and grow in godly character. (2.11-13) Faithfulness of Jesus 1. American Standard Version (ASV) Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright … If you have never done this, challenge yourself to do so. Finally, consider this vital scripture: “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you shall ask what you will, and it shall be done unto you” (John 15:7). Implied in the correct handling is the proper understanding of the divisions between the Old and the New Covenants, understanding that the New Testament is the rule of faith and practice for Christians today. God’s Holy Days: These are the seven annual Sabbaths that spell out the plan of salvation. Re-read all RCG literature, using the Bible to reference each scripture. Set aside a period of solid time if possible—not just a few minutes here and a few minutes there. © House to House Heart to Heart. Get beautiful Bible art delivered to your inbox. You have done what God expects you to do—an acceptable type of self-approval. But diligent Bible study is the way we wash and cleanse ourselves. There are many kinds of goals within Bible study. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Consider some of the great benefits of daily Bible Study: “For the word of God is quick [living], and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart”(Heb. In 1611 the word study meant strive, or be diligent. You are mourNing the loss of more than a church for the church is in you. Certain websites specialize in used books—and that includes used Bible reference books. Realize that some people such as the Pharisees were required to memorize the Torah—the first five books of the law. Most of the time. In order for study to be beneficial, you must remain alert. Halley’s Bible Handbook: Compact, yet filled with valuable archaeological notes and other historical background information. See “The Rules of Effective Bible Study” for a number of helpful hints on marking your Bible. 119:18; John 16:13). While helpful, recognize that these do not represent an “officially sanctioned” list of perfect or near-perfect study aids. Read more Share Copy Show footnotes . It is His written Instruction Book to mankind. Andrew answers this and teaches how to correctly study the Bible to get the most out of it. It is a matter of life and death. In a later post which summarizes his findings, Alan writes this: Nave’s Topical Bible: This book is ideal for tracing references when no common terms are used. Unger’s now has their Bible dictionary on CD for those with computers. This is the identifying sign of Israel and of God’s people. The apostle Paul wrote to the evangelist Timothy, Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15). Music makes me cry and understand the message so well. Failing to study your Bible will lead to doubt, discouragement, emptiness, negativity, anxiety, unhappiness and a feeling that God is not with you. The price is reasonable. Are Illnesses Such as Alzheimer’s Disease from God? OH WHAT strength a believer has when he/she takes on the command to study the Word, to present themselves to God! I am an INTJ. Study to show thyself approved to God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. I have develop it since I was so young and my environment helps me a lot. Study a specific doctrine. While newer translations render that passage slightly differently, I want to concentrate on that older phrase, ‘study to show yourself approved unto God’. By earnestly applying himself in service, Timothy would not need to be ashamed as he stood before God in the day of judgment. In the verses immediately before 2 Timothy 2:15, Paul stressed the importance of living faithfully before God, even to the point of suffering. 4. teaching the word of truth Study of the Bible helps you to be vigilant and to resist the devil. If one references commentaries and other supportive material, it may take as long as two years. How can you establish a pattern and stick to it? Be diligent: Paul often had to exhort Timothy to courage and action. But overall, these references are useful tools. King James Version (KJV) Public Domain. Copyright © 2020 The Restored Church of God. Church members give you different approach. Christ said, “…It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God” (Matt. 15 Study to shew thyself j approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. They help you to avoid the devil’s seduction. 2:15 NKJV). Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. If you have recently purchased a new Bible, try to transfer all your old Bible notes to it. The Bible as History: By Werner Keller. Study a small subject in the Bible. Study to show thyself approved unto God - Give diligence 2 Peter 2:10, or make an effort so to discharge the duties of the ministerial office as to meet the divine approbation.The object of the ministry is not to please men. God has given us the Bible in order that we might know Him and that we might do His will here on earth. The diligent application of all our energy to the service of God will allow us to join Timothy standing before God without shame. Its been years that I haven’t had visit my church. All scripture is inspired by God to mold and teach His people so that they may become perfect and equipped “for good work of every kind” (Moffatt translation). 4:4, quoted from Deut. The Word of God says you have to study to show yourself approved unto God. Though other try not to show it but still you can feel it. They fall into three categories: short-term, medium-term and long-term. What Happened on the Long Day of Joshua 10? Sign up for the Verse of the Day. God is not the kind of Master that accepts shoddy work! Christ said it would: God commands His servants, “Study to show yourself approved before God.”. 2:15 is such a very important verse in the bible that the Church needs to pay more attention to , everything we do to enhance our personal lives we take quality time to study and research whether its a carrier , a job skill , entertainment or anything that can give a edge over the other person , but when it comes to the service unto the Lord the attitude is the total opposite . Bible study is a vital process that does more than teach us. You have entered an incorrect email address! It is well worth exploring. He continues in verses 16-17: “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”. First, as workmen, we need not be ashamed—if we study God’s Word. However, keep in mind that the authors may have injected their own wrong ideas and misconceptions. Read a selected “harmony of the gospels”—another excellent project. Here are some tips to keep in mind while studying: Many kinds of subjects can be studied. A good example of this could be: “Why kneel during prayer?”. First, as workmen, we need not be ashamed—if we study God’s Word. A service of Faithlife / Logos Bible Software . Make Bible study a major priority. New International Version. This involves the identity of the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh as inheritors of the birthright. Study to show thyself approved unto God The Alexandrian copy reads, "to Christ"; see ( Romans 16:10) . Mostly I remember church when I hear a music and that’s the time I cried. Douay-Rheims Bible Such doctrines should be preached, and such plans formed, and such a manner of life pursued, as God will approve. - American Standard Version (1901) The Bible is the inspired Word of God. He continues to love you no matter what church you attend. Are There Ethical Concerns With Human Cloning. Observe, The care of ministers must be to approve themselves unto God, to be accepted of him, and to show that they are so approved unto God. Nothing will help us more to please God than to handle carefully and correctly God’s written word. I feel your pain please know that God feels it too. Review sermon notes and look up the key scriptures. I went to other church listen to the Pastors sermon, feel bless, go home, feels unrevived. Some set aside time early in the morning. King James Version 15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. This is not the way to approach God’s Word. This is a great goal—abiding in Christ and His word abiding in us. Although these keys are general overviews, they are indeed vital in being able to understand the Bible’s true doctrines. It is also possible to alternate between the two. Bible study is very important, but 2 Timothy 2:15 is not just a command to study the Bible. This is an immediate reward within itself, although it leads to the ultimate goal of eternal life. Not unto men, as pleasing them; for such who study to please men, are not the servants of Christ; and sometimes those that are approved to and by men, are disapproved of by God and Christ: but unto God, showing all fidelity and uprightness; speaking out the Gospel openly, and freely, with all sincerity, as in … Of necessity, correctly handling the Bible, the word of truth will involve much study, contemplation, and prayer. He forbids the observance of pagan holidays. Do not confuse that with your relationship and love for God. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. There are many useful Bible helps available. The rendering, study to show thyself approved unto God is found only in the King James Version, translated in the year 1611. Thus the New American Standard Bible renders the verse, Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth. God expects us to familiarize ourselves with His Word. You can gain serenity, stability and peace of mind through Bible study: “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope” (Rom. What does it mean to study to show thyself approved unto God? It should be understood that one could work on more than just one goal at any given time by alternating Bible study sessions, or splitting each session. My house is just like a step away from the Church. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share . The true gospel: The kingdom of God will be set up on this physical earth for a thousand years—the millennium—in the near future. Weymouth New Testament Earnestly seek to commend yourself to God as a servant who, because of his straightforward dealing with the word of truth, has no reason to feel any shame. This makes such goals much more obtainable, as well as interesting. Underline the 4 concepts that will be discussed in the lesson: 1. approved to God. 2 … The evangelist Timothy was to remind his hearers of the sacrifice of Christ, the need for serving Him, and the need to work diligently to be approved workmen before God. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Tim. Read a larger book of the Bible, such as Isaiah, Psalms or Proverbs. Your letter shows that you are still seeking for you continue to read and pray and see if God would have you return to the church you love or to love the church you are in. New American Standard Bible Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. The priest cut up the bullock, and then laid it in its different pieces according to order. Read on—and learn why you should study the Bible! We take your privacy seriously. Read verse in King James Version 3. be diligent. Memorize a series of key scriptures. II Timothy 2:15 admonishes, “Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”. “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who doesn’t need to be ashamed, correctly teaching the word of truth.” HCSB. 15:4). He will never leave you or forsake you. Timothy is the young pastor that Paul has left in place in Ephesus with the task of grounding the new Christians and strengthening the Church. It answers every important question in life. Do you understand the value of Bible study? 8:3). Thus the New American Standard Bible renders the verse, Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth. While newspapers, magazines and other news media report what happened. The goal of being an approved workman should be the goal of all of God’s children. Well, so much for study with my mind! Other examples could be astrology or tattoos. 2 Timothy 2:15, KJV: "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15, NASB: "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." Some study whatever pages it happens to open to. Therefore, devotional Bible study is the most important kind of Bible study. Therefore, one should establish goals in undertaking this vital spiritual activity. The reasons listed above could apply here, as well as to certain goals listed below. It is best to begin with short-term goals. The Works of Flavius Josephus: An excellent historical reference, considered by many to be the most authoritative reference to supplement the Bible. - New American Standard Version (1995) Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright the word of truth. (Upon repentance, the blood of Christ cleanses one of past sins.) 15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. All these different sources provide a kaleidoscope of spectacular information. 2:15). This is a metaphor taken from the action of the priest at the sacrifice. Consider the timing, such as near a Holy Day that pertains to a certain book. You need to listen to Him, and He won't lead you astray. Then why do so few know HOW to study the Bible? Bible study aids, such as atlases and history books, may help stimulate interest and promote additional curiosity. 15 Study to shew thyself to be approved by God Since all disputes about doctrine arise from this source, that men are desirous to make a boast of ingenuity before the world, Paul here applies the best and most excellent remedy, when he commands Timothy to keep his eyes fixed on God; as if he had said; “Some aim at the applause of a crowded assembly, but do thou … How do you go about that? ? They make Bible study not just interesting, but exciting. Study to show thyself approved unto God, v. 15. This is ideal if circumstances allow the flexibility to do this. God’s Spirit is instrumental in this cleansing process. For any reason I know he first love me. A Study of 2 Timothy Sermon # 3 “The Characteristics Of An Approved Workman.” 2 Timothy 2:14-26 Paul is writing to his young son in the faith, Timothy. Make notations in your Bible. The Bible interprets its own symbols: Man cannot understand the meaning of biblical symbols because he injects his own speculation. The water of baptism is not what washes us clean. Then along comes my favorite translation of the Bible, the New American Standard Version. I have cried so much and pray… why I still feel so sad going to church. We should look to the written word of God with the same reverence as the psalmist who wrote, Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Psalm 119:105). I am not assuming. Angus Green Bible Handbook: Somewhat more thorough and expensive than Halley’s Bible Handbook. The apostle Paul said, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (2 Tim. For example, one could study the doctrine of tithing in detail. It explains how to live—and reveals the road to salvation. Make it as interesting as possible, but keep it simple. 2 Tim. A common long-term goal is to read the entire Bible. Have called out members set apart by truth. You might find it in larger municipal and university libraries. Answered prayer becomes one of the many benefits of attaining the overall spiritual goal—walking with Christ and living the Book. Let the Bible explain the meaning. Many helpful photos and illustrations are given. Some examples would be the wearing of jewelry or the subject of hair length. What kind of things should you study? 2 Timothy 2:15-16 King James Version (KJV) 15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. He then told Timothy, Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers (2 Timothy 2:14). If God will give me a family one day, I would love them to go to church always. 2 Tim. This is our part of the cleansing process—God expects us to do our part. Bible study has many benefits. The titles listed here are but a small sampling of what is available. The benefits are enormous! Although it may seem that time is at a premium and we have so little of it, make diligent effort to study the Bible daily.