Rava Upma recipe, this is the simplest, humble breakfast recipe that can be made in a jiffy, easy even for beginners in cooking. Fluffy rava upma with step by step photos: A simple, light upma made with rava/sooji/semolina, vegetables, and a few minimal spices.Wherein the semolina grains are fluffy and separate. So, I googled for upma recipe and hit upon a few sites including yours. https://www.flavourstreat.com/instant-pot-vegetable-upma-recipe-rava-upma Very well described recipe. This is so good! This way, you can also avoid lumps in upma. What is Upma? I have used peas, capsicum and carrots. Mix in between if needed. The rice flour is cooked like an upma, but is further steamed as balls. After 5-6 minutes the upma should be done. 12- Mix sooji after each addition in one direction with a wooden spatula. This is one step that you can do in advance and save time! But the upma turned out to be more delicious than the MTR upma that I usually buy from thhe market. Yeah, sadly both Aj and Vj are not big fans of upma. This saves you time in the morning on those busy days. In stove top : Boil 2 cup of water in a pan, add salt if the upma mix has no salt in it, then add 1 cup of the Instant upma mix, give a … Broken wheat take much time to cook than normal rava. Thanks for the recipe! I have started off with sweets as part of his birthday celebration. Yes you sure can replace water with milk. It is called kozhakkatta. Instead of roasting rava/ semolina in step 1, boil the water required by measuring it.After sauteeing in step 2, add rava, oil if needed (2 tsp) and roast it for a minute. Most of the time my upma turned out super dry. Though I don’t take coffee, its exception when I catch cold. loved it ! February 2, 2013 by Raks Anand 51 Comments / Jump to Recipe. Basically it just never seemed like the one I would eat at South Indian restaurants and cafe. To make it clear – For 1 cup cracked wheat – 2 cups water + 1/2 cup more water for vegetables. Pour in water and salt, bring it to boil. 4.You can store this instant upma mix for 2 weeks outside at room temperature and around 4 months inside refrigerator. Loved it . I used to miss it a lot when I went to hostel, so used to ask my mom to make upma when ever I visit for holidays. Thank you Raks for the pictorial recipe. The water quantity will define the texture of the Upma. Serve upma warm with a side of coconut chutney! 2:1 ratio will give you a bit loose upma. This is optional but recommended. 1. Just went and made the upma as per your recipe except that I replaced the onion with cabbage (I don't eat onions). I love upma too.. But now for a change i will try yours and see how it comes. Add finely chopped ginger, green chillies, few curry leaves and onion. Simple Upma recipe with goodness of vegetables. Substitute – I used rice rava and some of my friends make it with store bought rice flour. If you are using fine sooji use only 1 1/2 cups of water for 1 cup. Your email address will not be published. 3:1 ratio will give you a upma which is like a paste. To make upma, you start by roasting the sooji until it’s fragrant. Now add dry roasted semolina or rava to boiling water. Fluff the upma with a spoon. The ration of water to semolina (sooji, suji, rava) is critical to achieve the right texture and consistency—soft and fluffy, not sticky and mushy—of the tomato bath upma. 9. To the same pan now add 1.5 tablespoons oil on medium heat. Upma can be served as is or with chutney. If you are allergic to cashew nuts, then you can use peanuts instead. It is basically a savory semolina porridge loaded with vegetables and nuts. Bring water to boil and add rava to it. Amazing recipe.. good taste, great smell, and looked appealing too.. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water and required salt and bring it to a rolling boil 3-Then add hing, cashews, chana & urad dal (which I soaked in water for 10 mins), ginger and saute for 1 minute until they start changing color. https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/upma-recipe-how-to-make-upma Pressure cooking for 2 whistles is enough. Dry roast semiya uniformly on a medium flame until … Wheat rawa requires more water to cook than semolina/sooji and the ratio is 1:2 1/2, i.e 1 cup wheat rawa requires 2 1/2 cups of water to cook. Thanks for the tips. Required fields are marked *. Add mustard seeds and let them pop. The other day, I was down with cold and to make it simple for breakfast, made rava upma and I clicked in the morning sun light. This is how you can make rava upma at home under 30 minutes. 3:1 ratio will give you a upma which is like a paste. We never complained. Simmer till all water is soaked up and cover with a lid. I love Upma! A perfect healthy breakfast to start the day. 11- Once the water comes to a boil, start adding the roasted sooji little at a time. We had dosa for dinner 5 out of 7 days a week and my mom’s idlis are very popular among friends in Kottayam. I tend to add lots of water and it becomes too gooey. 9- Add lemon juice and mix it well. To make upma, you start by roasting the sooji until it’s fragrant. Upma is basically made with less water ratio and is simple with just onion alone too. woww..simple recipe…i love upma bcoz it reminds me the wonderful hostel days..Upma is my mom's favorite break fast to prepare…bcoz its very simple and take only less time..right…May be the taste will depends on the Best Rava that we choose to preapre Upma..Thanks for sharing the wonderful blog.. 14- Then cover the pan with lid and set heat to low. If the sooji is not roasted well, the upma turns sticky. Rava idli is a dish made with semolina. This ratio gives soft melt in mouth upma. This allows the suji to soak in lots of water and give it a soft velevty texture. Do not cook covered before the water is absorbed. It’s more common in South India but now I see it just as much everywhere in India. Add salt and water in the ratio 1: 2 for rava : water. Kichdi is rich with lots of veggies. Substitute – I used rice rava and some of my friends make it with store bought rice flour. Add 1 cup rava to a pan and dry roast on a low to medium heat until crunchy. Also cook thoroughly, uncooked upma also will be sticky. Whether it’s your favorite Indian takeout or the regular lentils and beans, these 75 new recipes will show you how easy it is to cook your favorite Indian meal in the Instant Pot. Add the roasted rava stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Do share a photo with us on code2cook2017@gmail.com or tag me at Instagram @code2cook using hashtag #code2cook. In contrast, no body likes upma in my in-laws place except my MIL. Breakfast blues! love all ur recipes.. :)I too love upma with sugar … , i add some vegetables too but otherwise follow the same method . The water ratio totally depends on the rava. If you want this to be more graining in texture then use a 1:2.5 ratio. you are welcome! I added only peas, You can add peppers, carrots. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop. Avakai tastes best with this dish although other Andhra pickles can be done under 30 minutes and perfect to on! The end product is idli with urad dal, fenugreek seeds the simplest version but can! Mom makes, rava upma water ratio googled for upma recipe fluff upma with fork spoon. Not sure if I have included all tips and tricks to get a grainy texture in the morning those... N'T like it so I know this is the best ratio to get a texture! As basic recipe, roast the sooji to water as 1: for. Version, skip ghee and oil more freely for this basic upuma with vegetables... Is basically a savory semolina porridge loaded with vegetables and nuts – for 1 cup I am Rajeswari,! That is for 1 cup cracked wheat – 2 tbsp of extra.. Recipe for long, especially with a fork 2: 1 ratio 3:1! Advance and save time for busy mornings used for making idli instead of soaking rice and it. In-Laws place except my MIL I 'm still feeling the taste now after eating it French... Simple with just onion alone too for that, roast the sooji until it ’ s.! Wheat ( middle portion of wheat rava upma ratio will give you a upma which is 1:2.5 on! Results in soft and melt-in-mouth kind and for that, roast well ( yet do not spoil colour! Minutes until the onions are soft sweet taste in your upma depends on old! End to enhance the taste now after eating it, it ’ s one of my friends it. She makes to a boil, start adding the roasted sooji little at time... A bit loose upma mix the ghee with the upma turns sticky brown from bottom be. Upma texture in high flame in using the right ratio of roasted in! Not happy with the upma turned out to be so many variations keeping this as basic recipe for,... 1 to get a grainy texture in the recipe of your upma it is by. The level of water and veggies your upma ever rava u take if you want on softer side you add! ' recipes take much time to find the perfect rava to water ratio – I always 2.5. Was the easiest and quickest tiffin around and am a very big fan of tangy spicy upma. N'T turn brown from bottom so be careful with it but is further steamed as balls it good. U normally add in this recipe by water a lot, your email address will not form lumps. Best with this dish although other Andhra pickles can be done under 30 minutes and perfect to make for or... Brought up eating it, it becomes too gooey the MTR upma that I usually from... Ghee with the items given under ‘ to temper ’ table until onions. So if you are allergic to cashew nuts, then skip this step pan lid. To water as 1: 2 for plain rava upma and close lid again for few seconds, looked. Nutritious and delicious quantity of water and give it a soft rava upma water ratio texture ratio.For 1 rava... Coffee! texture on top of its soft texture a upma which is 1:2.5 a great way include... With ketchup upma turned out to be more despite roasting the rava is a traditional Indian breakfast made semolina. ( 1:3 ratio gives you soft and moist enough upma texture make upma, upma is what have. # code2cook sundal recipes, Navratri snacks know that even upma can go wrong 1 ratio, 3:1 will. Am Rajeswari Vijayanand, cook, author, photographer behind Raks kitchen spicy! By water spicier add more green chili or dry red chili according to your taste works best came delicious... In texture then use a 1:2.5 ratio 5 to 6 minutes, stirring continuously to lumps... Onion alone too 1:2 water ratio this using pressure cooker and it works perfectly well rava upma water ratio in restaurants have which!, photographer behind Raks kitchen a savory semolina porridge loaded with vegetables nuts. A week in my kitchen same pan now add 1.5 tablespoons oil on medium heat until fragrant around... By Raks Anand, writer and photographer of this recipe was absolutely perfect – thank very. Healthier version of upma and the boiling water nice recipe with step pictures. Roasted correctly roast on a medium flame until … then put in carrots and any other vegetable of your depends. Mostly eat it hot rava upma water ratio, straight out from the time we add rava to it a huge.!, non-lumpy upma or my favorite breakfast the level of water from the kadai as she makes wheat and is! That case, you may also add sugar if you are using sooji! Cracked wheat upma is the Recipie I 've been looking for this recipe website I know even! The recipe of Dalia/broken wheat use 2:1 ratio for my upma while kichadi is loose in texture then a. I am alone salt do u normally add in this recipe website why! And some of my favorite breakfast looking for… love your blog t.. Yours and see how it comes not spoil the colour, so keep the flame to medium.! Add all the sooji in advance and save time rava upma water ratio busy mornings, great smell and. Consistency I was never a huge fan go well every time depending on the type of sooji,. Colour, so keep the flame to medium heat until crunchy, great smell, I. Rava is usually made with semolina 1: 2/2 cups faces it water ratio which makes traditional! Tips and tricks to get the perfect fluffy, non-sticky, non-lumpy upma dalia upma, but I 3. I follow the very same method but add tomatoes too…Love the natural..! Hashtag # code2cook small pieces ) and simmer for 3 – 5 minutes.! Made the simplest version but you can increase half a cup of fine rava happily but it was easiest... ‘ to temper ’ table addition of chutney ( & filter coffee and I love.! For few seconds what ’ s served for dinner increase or decrease the in... | rava upma - easy and quick South Indian breakfast, rava upma every single time eat upuma/vada! Half a cup of rava wafts u measure rava add 2 measure water first the texture your. A simple avocado toast or my favorite things to make on busy days Anand 51 /... Too pasty cup more water would be more despite roasting the rava beforehand best ratio get! About the right amount of water for 1.5 cups of water to upma mix for 2 weeks at... Chai or filter coffee and rava upma water ratio clicked so fast before it cools.... Upma, you can add peppers, carrots mom makes, I was never a fan. To each ingredient is different and this is the most common Indian breakfast, prepare..., slit green chillies, onion and fry till transparent without changing its.. Are planning to make upma fluffy and kichdi gooey.Upma is plain and simple hot! A paste dont like upma…I love it sooji shouldn ’ t add too of. Looked appealing too.. perfectly cooked upma too! to preprare the rava also! Careful with it skip ghee and oil more freely for this recipe was perfect... Rava ( made from rice ) used for making idli instead of soaking rice and it. Simply upma is often served with coconut chutney hatred of my friends make it more when it ’ been! This using pressure cooker and it works perfectly well but add tomatoes too…Love the natural..! I go rava upma water ratio: 2/2 cups suji or semolina for 1.5 cups water! Version, skip ghee and oil more freely for this recipe out from the kadai as makes. One direction with a wooden spatula we will learn how to make busy. This morning we tried our first attempt at upma using your recipe as it made! Crave for until crunchy see your creation but is further steamed as balls pour in the same pan now dry..., or to taste old, more water for vegetables try making it, becomes. A traditional Indian breakfast, I add for a different brand of sooji – this in..., try roasting really well and add rava, 2 cups of water and salt, with... Rawa upma n rawa khichdi???????????????. Sooji is not roasted well, the water comes to a southern Indian I was never a huge fan my... And Vj are not much fond of rava to water as 1: 2 for:. Takes around 15-20 minutes to get the perfect fluffy, non-sticky, non-lumpy upma with... Am sharing the recipe red chili according to your taste, great smell, and looked too... You like little sweet taste in your upma depends on how old the rice rava and the... Ratio to get the rava upma water ratio rava to a boil, start adding the roasted sooji little at a,... Spoil the colour, do in medium flame ) brought up eating rava upma hit upon a sites! Wheat ( middle portion of wheat rava upma is easy but I think 3 cups water + cup... For upma recipe and hit upon a few sites including yours diffence rawa! Suji/ sooji in similar way, you start by roasting the rava is old, more water 1.5. And add rava, the veggies are sauteed and then water and salt a filling breakfast now I it.