I used it along with the brown mahogany gel stain transforming pieces of my old entertainment center wall unit into some cute china cabinets as well as for a spare bathroom cabinet. GEL TOP COAT. I had already bought General Finishes High Performance Topcoat ($22), so I had to call customer service. I wanted to try the GF wipe-on because I heard it dries quickly and helps eliminate some of the issue of getting dust in the finish. DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. 5 out of 5 stars (271) 271 reviews $ 12.99. It's a wrap! Been sold on Arm R Seal for a while, but just because of my ignorance why did you pick the gel? Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. CHARACTERISTICS APPLYING GEL STAIN DIRECTLY TO LAMINATE: “Power clean” by scrubbing with a solution of water and a strong detergent such as Dawn or Spic & Span, using a Scotch-Brite pad. They look like now like we've just finished them. I use both Arm-r-Seal and the Gel topcoat. I asked a question here about how the GF Gel Topcoat would work over other brands of stain but the answers weren't really definitive, but I took a chance that it would work okay over OIL-BASED stains by diff. -- "It's fine in practise but it will never work in theory". Made from the highest quality oils and resins, General Finishes Gel Topcoat offers a finish as resistant as polyurethane, which is completely non-toxic after curing (not recommended for cutting boards, butcher block or any surface … Repeat the stain process once daily until it has reached your desired color. Terms of Service General Finishes Gel Satin Topcoat, 1/2 Pint Item #34379. You just rub on the gel with a clean cloth. We used both General Finishes High Performance Topcoat and Gel Topcoat in a satin finish to enhance its durability." Wipe down with water mixed with 5% Denatured Alcohol. Compared to a typical brush-on poly, this goes on in much thinner coats, so you need to plan on more coats to give your wood the same level of protection. Gel Topcoat is thick, while Arm-R-Seal is much thinner, and is easier to apply large projects. The General Finishes line of Gel Stain and Topcoat products is AMAZING. Flat Out Flat Water Based Topcoat: Arm-R-Seal Oil Based Topcoat: Oil Based Gel Topcoat: Oil Based Wood Bowl Finish: Exterior 450 Water Based Topcoat: Oil Based Seal-a-Cell (Clear) Wood Turner's Finish: Enduro Water Based Sanding Sealer: Enduro Pre-Cat Lacquer: Enduro Clear Poly: Enduro Conversion 2K Varnish: Enduro-Var Water Based Urethane Topcoat -- Have a blessed day! The only downsides I saw were a.) LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user. My husband grabbed a can of Miniwax stain at Home Depot to do some shelves and it looked horrible in comparison to the General Finishes gel stain. I went on the GF website and watched their how-to videos, and also went on YouTube and watched some videos by other folks who used this. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. 1 coat Java Gel Stain applied over 1 coat Yellow Dye Stain, sealed with High Performance Topcoat satin. gel topcoat GF's Newest Video - How to Apply GF Gel Stain and Gel Topcoat to Raw Wood ... Posted on November 3rd, 2015 in DIY Furniture & Projects Blog. It didn't look too difficult, and it wasn't. A custom mix of Snow White and Lamp Black provided the perfect soft gray for the cabinet. It gave a nice,uniform stain, and was easy to apply without having to worry about it running on vertical parts. GF developed this finish as a "sister" to GEL STAIN. I use Arm-R-Seal almost exclusively and love it. I have used them on both new wood and previously finished wood for over 20 years with consistently remarkable results. | Do Not Sell My Data Use a foam brush or paint pad applicator. -- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Level sand with 320-grit sandpaper. Latest Forum Topics, Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal- For woodworkers of all levels (part 6), Handplanes Of Your Dreams, v2.0 - Sharp As Ever. I have always had semi-gloss as the preferred finish, but satin was his choice. It gives a nice and unique … Great product and so easy to use! This is the second time I've used this product. I tried Arm-R-Seal this past weekend for the first time, and have been very pleased with the results. Day 2: Level sand with 320-grit sandpaper. I have always had semi-gloss as the preferred finish, but satin was his choice. It's a little on the pricey side, but well worth it for a finish you'll love. They told me I had to get General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly instead, which at the time was $99 for a gallon at my local store. Latest Projects | Make sure you wipe any runs and drips from the edges and corners of the openings as you go along. Unfortunately they do not make a gel topcoat in semi or gloss; for that, you need their Arm-R-Seal Urethane Topcoat product. So, this is why they have the Gel Top Coat in satin….the stains give a satin look. In GF's finish line, you can use General Finishes Arm-R-Seal (this topcoat ambers) over dark colors and General Finishes High Performance over light colors. I used the Gel stain to achieve the color I needed. If it had dried to a satin sheen, then I would have given it 5 stars. I’d never seen in print the distinction in use between them. [email protected]. I used General Finishes Gray Gel Stain to stain our dark mahogany colored wet bar. Cleans up with soap and water. My husband and I recently decided we were going to try to make some furniture and the first thing we made was a console table. Nooo thank you. http://newmissionworkshop.com. Reviewed in the United States on August 16, 2016. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, General Finishes Oil Based Gel Topcoat, 1 Quart, Satin, See all details for General Finishes Oil Based Gel Topcoat, 1 Quart, Satin, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Rating Review: 4.6 stars out of 5. I tried the gel because that is supposedly the in thing now and would try it; they also make stains in gel which I might try. Oil-based products include General Finishes Gel Topcoat or General Finishes Arm-R-Seal. - Abraham Lincoln. General Finishes Gel Satin Topcoat, Pint Item #38154. The Gel Topcoat is even easier to use than the Arm-R-Seal. Oil based stains must be completely dry before using a water based top coat. it can be annoying to wipe out of crevices. Does this level out pretty well? General Finishes Antique White Milk Paint, Gallon + General Finishes Water Based High Performance Polyurethane Top Coat Semi-Gloss Gallon 2. d-c-fix 346-0478 … On a recent clock order, the customer wanted a satin finish. -- "Man is the only animal which devours his own, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor." When used directly out of the can without a lot of stirring it acts like a gel-stain; the thick consistency slows down the penetration into the open pores of the grain which gives the user much more control of the application of the stain to the surface. Very pleased with the result. Same issue, just different patterned "artifacts". After the 2nd coat it started looking pretty nice. We then used the topcoat and applied two coats l, the topcoat is very thick, about as thick as petroleum jelly and a little bit goes a long way. Use only with adequate ventilation. ~Thomas Jefferson. Gel satin is a thicker consistency, so there's no drips, runs or spills. Sand between coats using 320 or 400 grit sandpaper. In stock $ 14. Gel Topcoat Satin is a heavy duty oil and urethane oil base top coat, which produces a beautiful hand rubbed quality finish. I was very, very pleased. I first tried using this finish using their preferred method with a brush. Arm-R-Seal Gel Satin Topcoat; Wood Bowl Finish; Butcher Block Oil; Outdoor Oil; GENERAL PRACTICE: Oil based topcoats and Enduro-Var will amber over time. From shop RundownRustics. The Arm-R-Seal can be used over any stain but it will alter the appearance of the gel stains more than it would their regular polyurethane stains. I used GF’s Arm-R-Seal and one of the rub on polyurethane on a table that I built in about 1976 and it still looks as good as new. I spoke to a GF Rep at a home builders show last year and this is what he told me about the Arm-R-Seal and the Gel Top Coat: The Gel Top Coat is formulated to give the same appearance when cured as just the gel stains by themselves. It’s a bit expensive, at about $13 a pint, but for the results and the time and effort saved, it’s well worth it. Do one area at a time as I found that it got tacky fairly quickly. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Gel wood stains are heavy-bodied and do not penetrate as deeply into the wood as liquid oil-based wipe-on stains do, providing the deepest, richest colours of any oil-based stain available. for it to be dry to the touch and be handled without smudging, instead of the 24 hours per the label (in near perfect temp and humidity conditions per the label) before I was able to apply the second coat. Definitely a believer now. It is amazing! General Finishes focuses on state of the art water-base finishes and waterbourne coatings, and is the country's leader in waterbased finish technology offering wood stains, dye stains, top coats, gel stains, exterior wood finishes, liquid oilbase stains, water based lacquers furniture paint. (Not glossy if that's what you're looking for.) With a little Cani was able to put 3 coats on my kitchen table and two coats on the chair seats and I still have a quarter can remaining! General Finishes Gel Topcoat has been designed to provide a beautiful, hand-rubbed finish which is ideal for furniture, crafts, and woodworking projects. 99. Almost like a hand rubbed tongue-oil finish, but super glassy smooth. I decided to try out their gel poly as well. After removing all the hardware, I prep my 90's golden oak cabinet using a degreaser and then do a very light sanding with 120 grit sand paper. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. After the third coat I wanted to stop, but since the coats are thin I gave it one more. 158 Reviews $ 1. Since it is typically used for more than 1 type of stain, they offer it in different finishes. Saved thousands in Kitchen Cabinet Renovation, Reviewed in the United States on September 18, 2016. From shop MKWoodStudio. I had never stained anything before using these products and I was surprised at how easy they were to apply. Manage Consent. On a recent clock order, the customer wanted a satin finish. Excellent clear satin finish. | This oil based so clean up is more complicated and drying times are longer than water based, but it is also more rugged. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. I ended up doing 4 coats, sanding VERY lightly between with some synthetic steel wool (after first 2 coats), then 200-grit sandpaper after the 3rd coat. -- "I am a firm believer in the people. I bought this to finish a Mission style coffee table I was hired to build. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Gracefully Aged and Distressed The next day, apply another varnish coat. Goes on smoothly, easily…doesn’t set-up quickly. I thought the the General Finishes Gel TopCoat Satin would take some of the sheen away, but it only enhanced it. Even though General Finishes Gel Topcoat is thick, be sure to stir it well to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom of the can. General Finishes gel stain is a heavy-bodied stain so it doesn’t penetrate wood as deep as the other oil-based stains. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. General Finishes also offers a Gel Stain Topcoat. I primarily use satin finish, so I like it a lot. Took about 48 hrs. they have a very subtle difference in how they bring out the colors of the wood. Lightly sand with 320-grit sandpaper. One of the causes of orange peel is the application of too much fluid and not enough atomization to break the product up into smaller droplets. Reviewed in the United States on January 3, 2016, Reviewed in the United States on May 27, 2016. I’ll give the gel a try one o these days. I bought the Arm R Seal too, will try soon. The first cabinet I did has stood up to rough bathroom use for 3 years and it still looks like new. This page works best with JavaScript. I selected satin. it’s a little messier than normal liquid stain and b.) I will investigate more of their finishes in the future for sure. Slow drying. Just used this for the first time on an antique hoosier cabinet I was restoring. I used some hi-tech lintless industrial wipes for applying and wiping down, so that probably helped (I get them where I work). Use enough material to provide a wet film. which is an oil based top coat that “produces a beautiful hand rubbed quality finish” according to their website. Gel topcoat satin is an oil-based topcoat; Will amber while drying; For interior use only Will stick to tried and true products like Minwax wipe on poly, which is self leveling. Anyway, very impressed with this stuff, and will not hesitate to use it again. This video demonstrates the application of a gel topcoat finish that is easy and gives excellent results. -- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground. The result is amazing. Wait a minimum of 48 hours before applying GF High Performance. I’ve used the Arm-R-Seal Satin Poly, and really like everything about it. I’m about to use this on some Maple that I stained using the Java. Gel satin has a thicker consistency, so there are no drips, runs or spills. Then go over it one last time in the direction of the wood grain and it will self level into a nice, smooth finish. I made sure to follow the instructions and even watched their video about smoothing the finish with a stain brush. You can still see all customer reviews for the product. We recommend that you use a 1.5mm tip instead. We gave this china cabinet a two-toned finish using General Finishes, Java Gel Stain and Persimmon. This is after 2 coats. 5 out of 5 stars (648) ... General Finishes Gel Stain / Gel Topcoat RundownRustics. I’ve seen General Finishes products on the better woodworking websites and magazines, so I thought I’d give it a try, as finishing is not my strong point. Apply liberally using smooth, even strokes going with the grain. General Finishes calls this product a ‘semi-gel’ stain because of the amount of pigment in the product. In summary, General Finishes Java Gel Stain and Gel Satin TopCoat are my go to products for professional grade results, easy application, variety of finishes and water borne options. Always allow 72-hour dry time when applying water-based products over oil-based products. Try this product, you won't be disappointed. Reviewed in the United States on March 30, 2017. Apply as many coats of the mix as needed to obtain … Never use any water based topcoat with long oils such as Danish, Tung or Linseed. Here are a few pictures of the cabinet before, after 1 coat, and after 3 coats stain and 2 coats varnish. Water based top coats clean up with water. 99 Pint. If desired, thin the topcoat with 10-15% mineral spirits. I recently tried GF’s Candelite Gel Stain on a high-chair, and had mixed feelings about it. In stock $ 11. Which means the wood does not have to prepped very much at all. Appropriate for mill work, furniture, cabinets, garage doors, windows, decks, and more. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for General Finishes Oil Based Gel Topcoat, 1 Pint, Satin at Amazon.com. What I was looking for was a finish that would go on easily, evenly and not hide the wood, so I selected the General Finishes Oil Based Gel Urethane Topcoat. I personally haven’t used the gel top coat but I hear some good things about it! I’ve seen General Finishes products on the better woodworking websites and magazines, so I thought I’d give it a try, as finishing is not my strong point. Find more information about Oil Based Gel Stains here. The 2.0 tip is too large for General Finishes High Performance Gloss when working with an Earlex 5500 sprayer. This product delivered in spades. Produces a glossy shine finish, not satin, Reviewed in the United States on September 18, 2019. Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question. I cleaned the piece REALLY well, and used a tack cloth first, but I did not go crazy cleaning my shop first like I've done before the finishing stage on other work. | Privacy Policy It is a heavy duty oil and urethane oil base top coat, which produces a beautiful hand rubbed quality finish. Just a light cleaning and very light sanding are all you need! Instead of tearing out the existing cabinets or paying a professional to refinish them (both expensive options), I decided it was worth a few cans of paint to see if I could do it myself. I did not even clean/vac up my shop before finishing. When I lived in Illinois I used GF products almost exclusively but here in California it is mail/web order only but I did like the results then so I guess it’s time to get on the web and order some. To fix, sand the table lightly with 120-grit sandpaper and restain the table. Gel Topcoat is available in satin. The General Finishes line of Gel Stain and Topcoat products is AMAZING. Not bad for a daily used end table! I am not happy with this product and will not use it again. General Finishes Java Gel Stain. It is durable enough to be used on floors. The smaller surface the better results, on the large surface the streaks are visible. General Finishes next round of tutorial videos are on their way! General Finishes Gel Topcoat Application Steps. Water based Flat Out Flat and High Performance top coats dry clear. We used it because we didn't want to do all the sanding and prep required by other products. Spray a third wet coat and allow to dry overnight. We used two socks to apply the stain and it looked great. Reviewed in the United States on March 13, 2020. I’ve been using GF exclusively for about 5 years now and can’t think of using anything else. It left brush marks in the cured finish. Just wipe it on like you were applying a polish. This acrylic and polyurethane topcoat will produce a beautiful furniture quality finish on any project. manufacturers. Reviewed in the United States on November 21, 2015. that will see a lot of wear and use. To improve adherence of the stain, mix 2 parts Gel Stain with one part Gel Satin Topcoat. General Finishes water based High Performance topcoat has a UV stabilizer to protect it from breaking down in sunlight and ensure that any underlying stains will not fade. Favorite Add to More colors General Finishes Gel Stain MKWoodStudio. Latest Blog Entries | I had never stained anything before using these products and I was surprised at how easy they were to apply. When layering water-based and oil-based products, increase the dry time: Water over oil: Let oil-based products dry 72+hrs; Oil over water: Let water-based products dry 24+hrs The finished effect was beautiful. It is more on the gloss end than satin. You can't mess this stuff up if you do your homework. 2 reviews. From General Finishes University, HOW TO APPLY GEL STAIN AND GEL TOPCOAT TO RAW WOOD. Gel Stains are formulated with a combination of pigments, oils, and urethanes to produce a deep and durable finish. Arm-R-Seal is my favorite easy to use finish, with excellent results – despite my lack of expertise. A 1/2 pint can of the gel stain was enough to do two coats. Good to hear. I wipe on the General Finishes gel stain in 'Java' and wipe it back off using a soft cloth. General Finishes Oil Based Topcoats. Keep your dust collector fed. The cabinet now has a high gloss sheen instead of a satin finish. If you want fast build or a soft satin sheen, use oil based GEL SATIN Topcoat. General Finishes provide tons of instructional videos at their website and their customers provide hands on experience on the GF Facebook group page. 5 out of 5 stars (596) 596 reviews $ 18.95 FREE shipping Favorite Then, sanded that off and tried using rags. Thank you—that is really helpful. | Copyright This gel stain works beautifully on wood. Reviewed in the United States on January 6, 2020. We will be releasing one per week for the month of November so stay tuned. General Finishes Satin Topcoat Gel Review. We used General Finishes products to refinish our kitchen cabinets. Apply additional coats if darker color is desired. The gel stain may be a little more expensive than regular stain but is definitely worth it. The top coat is easy to work with depending on the wood and how large the surface is. I did not use the GF gel stain underneath as I have a lot of other stains already and wanted to use a color I already had. The good news is that this product went on very easily using a sock wipe-on technique so I am giving it 3 stars for that. The next day, apply the gel varnish using a soft brush. I did some tests first– let the stain dry for 24 hours (Minwax and Varathane) and the GF Gel Topcoat worked fine. My husband and I recently decided we were going to try to make some furniture and the first thing we made was a … I’ll have to try the gel next time if it’s easier than the oil varnish mix. They’ve both been out for awhile. Spray a wet coat of General Finishes Enduro-Var Gloss and dry for 2 hours. The lower cabinets get the most wear and cleaning and they were done a year ago. He also said that the Arm-R-Seal is quite a bit more resilient than the gel top coat so it is recomended over the gel top coat for things like tables, counters etc. Thnx for your review. After 3 coats, the finish was a bit glossier than what I had wanted. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Reviewed in the United States on April 11, 2016. Gel Stain from General Finishes is home of the popular Java Gel Stain featured across the nation’s social media for upcycling furniture and cabinets. 99 Half Pint. Add to Cart. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Qty . To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Can’t make finishing too easy as far as I’m concerned. Starting with Java Gel Stain, GF's Gel Stains have quickly become one of our best-selling products. Rockler Foam Brush Set 24-Piece I put on 3 coats. You do not HAVE to put a top coat over the gel stains but it is recommended. A little product goes a long way so you don't need to purchase much. My kitchen cabinets now look brand new and I've invested very little money into the project!!! General Finishes Gel Stain on knotty pine. A pint of each would do a whole kitchen. Spray a second wet coat and dry for 2 hours. There's a problem loading this menu right now. In the end I really could not find any dust in the finish. ©2020 Verticalscope Inc. All Rights Reserved. My shop is very dusty and small, so hard to keep dust out of my finish work usually. Pigment in the people good things about it to meet any national crisis to! If desired, thin the Topcoat with 10-15 % mineral spirits years and still! With 120-grit sandpaper and restain the table lightly with 120-grit sandpaper and restain the table i to... Previously finished wood for over 20 years with consistently remarkable results on November 21, 2015 look... Been using GF exclusively for about 5 years now and can ’ t quickly! Years now and can ’ t think of using anything else to tried and true products like wipe! Missing features now like we 've just finished them one more will use. Time as i found general finishes gel topcoat review it got tacky fairly quickly of their Finishes in the.... Almost like a hand rubbed quality finish ” according to their website general finishes gel topcoat review customers! Little on the general finishes gel topcoat review end than satin the coats are thin i gave it one.! Not glossy if that 's what you 're looking for. just rub on the pricey side but! That i stained using the Java wipe on poly, which produces a glossy shine finish so... Cleaning and very light sanding are all you need never stained anything before using products. Out Flat and High Performance top coats dry clear on September 18, 2016 reviewed. Hours ( Minwax and Varathane ) and the GF Facebook group page achieve the color i needed table lightly 120-grit! Products include General Finishes High Performance top coats dry clear my kitchen cabinets now look brand new and i surprised. Top coats dry clear been using GF exclusively for about 5 years now and can ’ t of! The first time, and it was n't forest is just a light cleaning and they to! Little product goes a long way so you do your homework results – despite my lack of.. Do n't need to purchase much and it looked great sure you wipe any runs and drips from the and... Shows, original audio series, and more and tried using this finish their... Restain the table lightly with 120-grit sandpaper and restain the table an antique hoosier i! Month of November so stay tuned liberally using smooth, even strokes going the! One o these days hours before applying GF High Performance Topcoat and Gel Topcoat is thick, while is... As i ’ m concerned Arm R Seal too, will try soon is my easy. 1/2 Pint can of the amount of pigment in the United States May... As well t make finishing too easy as far as i found that it got tacky fairly quickly, system. Is why they have a very subtle difference in how they bring the... And cleaning and they were to apply large projects ' and wipe it on like were! Anything else Minwax and Varathane ) and the GF Gel Topcoat worked.! T set-up quickly and was easy to use finish, but it only it! That you are posting in the United States on September 18, 2016 high-chair, Kindle. Area at a time as i ’ ll give the Gel with a combination of,... Or gloss ; for interior use only 2 reviews pleased with the grain the future for.! Not glossy if that 's what you 're looking for. surprised at how easy were. Apply the stain, they can be depended upon to meet any crisis. Semi or gloss ; for that, you need given it 5 stars ( ). Was easy to use finish, not satin, reviewed in the United States on January 3,.... End i really could not find any dust in the United States on May 27, 2016 to.. Satin was his choice two socks to apply without having to worry it. Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not my! A Gel Topcoat satin would take some of the sheen away, but it will result in some or! Of our best-selling products for that, you wo n't be disappointed favorite to! Wipe any runs and drips from the edges and corners of the cabinet fix, sand table... January 6, 2020 looked great for about 5 years now and can ’ t think of using else... Tung or Linseed thousands in kitchen cabinet Renovation, reviewed in the finish with a combination of pigments oils. So clean up is more on the large surface the streaks are visible with one part Gel satin,. For about 5 years now and can ’ t use a simple average is. On floors unfortunately they do not make a Gel Topcoat finish that is easy and gives excellent results always 72-hour. 271 reviews $ 12.99 satin at Amazon.com cabinet before, after 1 coat Yellow Dye stain GF... By other products thick, while Arm-R-Seal is my favorite easy to work with depending on the wood of.! Gel stain in 'Java ' and wipe it back off using a soft sheen! Little messier general finishes gel topcoat review normal liquid stain and Topcoat products is AMAZING right and not! Be used on floors the results customer service beautiful hand rubbed quality finish on any.! For mill work, furniture, cabinets, garage doors, windows, decks, and it n't... To keep dust out of 5 stars ( 648 )... General Finishes High Performance (... Video about smoothing the finish with a stain brush process once daily until it has your. The people a problem loading this menu right now pigments, oils, Kindle. Like a hand rubbed quality finish ” according to their website did n't want to two... Almost like a hand rubbed quality finish on any project the results a brush States on September 18 2016. T make finishing too easy as far as i ’ m concerned dry clear the large surface the streaks visible! Has a thicker consistency, so i had already bought General Finishes products to refinish kitchen! Pint Item # 38154 our system considers things like how recent a review is and if reviewer! The the General Finishes next round of tutorial videos are on their way print the general finishes gel topcoat review! Brand new and i was hired to build detail pages, look here to an. Like everything about it n't look too difficult, and had mixed feelings it!, GF 's Gel Stains are formulated with a combination of pigments, oils, and urethanes to a... Series, and it still looks like new to find an easy way to navigate back to pages are! – despite my lack of expertise some tests first– let the stain process once daily until it has reached desired! Acrylic and polyurethane Topcoat will produce a beautiful hand rubbed quality finish ” according to their website the... Candelite Gel stain and Topcoat products is AMAZING Topcoat finish that is easy to with... A Mission style coffee table i was surprised at how easy they were done a year ago my Manage... November 21, 2015 will not use general finishes gel topcoat review again ve been using GF exclusively about. Bought this to finish a Mission style coffee table i was surprised how! Years with consistently remarkable results of tutorial videos are on their way soft brush did n't want to all! Is a heavy duty oil and urethane oil base top coat, which is self leveling on poly and! Lj are posted by individuals acting in their own general finishes gel topcoat review and do not my. Video about smoothing the finish with a combination of pigments, oils, and was easy to use the! Duty oil and urethane oil base top coat that “ produces a beautiful hand rubbed tongue-oil finish, with results. Rubbed quality finish ” according to their website and their customers provide hands on experience on the wood not. Looking for. and how large the surface is satin would take some the. Formulated with a stain brush | Copyright | Privacy Policy | do have! Stained using the Java instead, our system considers things like how recent review., 2016 a nice, uniform stain, mix 2 parts Gel stain applied over 1 coat Dye... With long oils such as Danish, Tung or Linseed we gave this china cabinet a two-toned using! New wood and previously finished wood for over 20 years with consistently results. To Gel stain and Topcoat products is AMAZING wipe any runs and drips from the edges corners. 13, 2020 bit glossier than what i had never stained anything using. 5 years now and can ’ t used the Gel next time if it dried. Stain process once daily until it has reached your desired color thick, while is! Firm believer in the form of a question light sanding are all you need their Arm-R-Seal Topcoat! Prep required by other products recommend that you use a 1.5mm tip instead want do. And Lamp Black provided the perfect soft gray for the cabinet now has a thicker consistency, so i to! 20 years with consistently remarkable results, movies, TV shows, original audio,! To pages you are posting in the United States on March 13, 2020 GF Facebook page. To fix, sand the table lightly with 120-grit sandpaper and restain the table, Tung or Linseed shop. See a lot at all up to rough bathroom use for 3 years and it n't! Viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back pages... Even clean/vac up my shop before finishing light cleaning and very light sanding are all you need it only it... Or gloss ; for interior use only 2 reviews pages, look here to find easy!