California’s North Coast is a classic example of “you can’t get there from here.” The residents have, for generations, resisted attempts to build wide highways to the sea, so a trip of only 165 miles can take more than four hours. © 2020 Hunter Angler Gardener Cook, All Rights Reserved. A motherlode. by Michael Kuo. I hiked uphill no more than 200 yards when I saw it: A swath of yellowfoot chanterelles the size of my living room. The alarm shocked me out of a dead sleep; I’d been dreaming of geese, and could still hear them ringing in my ears as I looked at the clock. Craterellus tubaeformis is actually something of a composite species, with several closely-related variations that occur in cold, coniferous forests across the northern part of the planet; California is just about the farthest south these mushrooms appear, which is why we enjoy them as a winter mushroom. Why risk a ticket and having the ranger confiscate all my mushrooms for just another pound? Temperature and moisture conditions define when a part of mycelium in soil aggregates and differentiates into a fruit body. My friend Eric, who I’d hunted with in this area of Salt Point several times before, has noted casually that this was the section of forest where he’d been jumped by state police wearing full camo and armed with AR-15 assault rifles. Craterellus tubaeformis Benefits Vitamins. 4:21 a.m. As early as it was, I would have needed to wake up an hour ago if I were really hunting geese. I found a quiet place to park my pickup along Highway 1, grabbed my pack and headed into the woods. Stem 25 to 80 mm x 4 to 10 mm, hollow, often flattened or grooved; yellow to dull yellow-orange. The gills are widely separated, and of lighter color than the cap. Then another. Wax bags, incidentally, preserve the mushrooms better than paper, and far better than plastic, which prevents the moisture-laden mushrooms from breathing and will often disintegrate them before you even get home. Filed Under: Featured, Foraging, How-To (DIY stuff), Mushrooms Tagged With: chanterelles, essays, Foraging, mushrooms. Craterellus cornucopioides, or horn of plenty, is an edible mushroom.It is also known as the black chanterelle, black trumpet, trompette de la mort (French), trombetta dei morti (Italian) or trumpet of the dead.. [6], Though small, the mushroom is choice and grows in groups. Craterellus tubaeformis. A club against an armed drug dealer would probably be worse than useless, but it made me feel better. They live up north, on California’s forbidding North Coast. A mix of various Craterellus and Cantharellus species (chanterelles and trumpets) is good because they have similar flavor characteristics. But I would be leaving my shotgun at home this morning. Ethanolic extracts prepared from Russula mairei, Lactarius blennius, Craterellus tubaeformis, Russula fellea, and Craterellus cornucopioides demonstrated selective anti-inflammatory activity by decreasing the production of NO and IL-6 but not TNF-α in LPS-stimulated RAW264.7 cells. Chanterelle is a plant that can be found in Red Dead Redemption 2. we follow the seasons from forest to forest, selecting the finest wild mushrooms from around the world. Hairpin turns along sheer cliffs that drop hundreds of feet into an angry sea (the Pacific Ocean is horribly misnamed) make for some interesting driving. The volatile profile of resultant mushroom extracts was qualitatively analyzed by GC–MS and further quantified using GC-FID based on the internal standard. Craterellus lutescens differs only in colours, but is more rare, and is found only from very wet places. Smooth, with no bulb around the base or ring. Note the “gills.” Like all chanterelles, these are not actually gills. C. tubaeformis tastes stronger but less fruity than the golden chanterelle. Edible mushrooms are valued because of their umami taste and good nutritional values. Where I spend most of my time, cell phone reception is a happy accident more often than not. I’ve found them in New England in October, and they are a late summer mushroom in Scandinavia. Start with location: They will be in damp, cool woods in the North. [5], The western North American C. tubaeformis has been shown to make ectomycorrhizal relationships with western hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla) and Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). Some mysterious combination of soil, moisture and plant life makes the place a mycologist’s dream and a picker’s heaven. This time I drove to a spot I could see from the road: Lots of pines and a seemingly open forest. Hey there. Free amino acids, 5′-nucleotides and nucleosides were analyzed from four Nordic forest mushroom species (Lactarius camphoratus, Boletus edulis, Cantharellus cibarius, Craterellus tubaeformis) using high precision liquid chromatography analysis. If these two groups are defined as separate species, the "eastern" yellowfoot would retain the scientific epithet tubaeformis due to the origin of the type specimens in Sweden. Ridges Blunt, forked and often wavy gill-like ridges that run partway down the stem and are quite shallow often looking like veins. [7] It can be eaten with meat, in soups, pasta, and other dishes.[8]. I hit the legendary Shoreline Highway, California’s Highway 1, at dawn in Bodega Bay. ... Few also realise that they come with many health benefits, being protective for the heart, containing natural cholesterol lowering statins and (like all … Or at least that’s what I told myself. Welcome to Hunter Angler Gardener Cook, the internet's largest source of recipes and know-how for wild foods. And despite heavy pressure, mushrooming at Salt Point is more like picking and less like hunting. Gills decurrent, narrow, blunt, and irregularly branched and vein-like; yellowish to gray-violet. But alas, another picker had been there before me. That means I need a lot of them. One of the most popular commercially gathered wild mushrooms throughout Europe. Clitocybe Nuda (Common names: Blue stalk mushroom, Wood blewit or blewitt) I decided to move. For further ideas, look to France and Scandinavia for your inspiration. Almost. I spent the next three hours picking, so long it almost felt like work. C. tubaeformis is a yellowish-brown and trumpet-shaped mushroom found in great numbers late in the mushroom season, thus earning the common name winter mushroom. Botanical: Craterellus tubaeformis Description: Cap 2 to 8 cm across, convex then soon flat and depressed, funnel-shaped in center, margin inrolled, wavy; deep yellow to yellow-brown, paler with age. Ugh. And not just any mushroom. Their hollowness also allows yellowfeet to be easily cleaned. As the sun rose I passed the mouth of the Russian River, which in September can be choked with king salmon. Description: Honeycomb-like pattern in that the upper portion is composed of a network of ridges with pits between them. Habitat. I worked carefully and methodically, pinching off the mushrooms with my fingernails and popping them into a wax bag. The cap is convex and sometimes hollow down the middle. A flock of gulls pecked at what should have been its mouth. It’s always important to watch your step when you are in yellowfoot country: You might be stepping on them without knowing it. Even at 5 a.m. there is traffic on the highways leading into San Francisco. I wandered for an hour before I spotted my first patch of yellowfeet. No part of America’s coast is quite like this: Grim, rocky coasts. The cap, even when large, will not be too much larger than a quarter. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Craterellus Tubaeformis (Common names: Funnel Chanterelle, Winter mushroom, Yellowfoot) 3. Now its flow was so stunted a sandbar blocked the river’s path to the sea. They also contain decent levels of potassium, selenium, and copper. If you snip them off at the base to avoid dirt, and then pull them in two, you will get all the dirt out of them in a snap. White to light yellow. Fall has arrived, at least in northern Vermont. It has a very distinctive smokey, peppery taste when raw. One cup of C. tubaeformis has 1.87 mg of iron, 273 mg of potassium, 31 mg of phosphorous, and only 0.63 g of sugar. Pine-cone shaped. It’s an occupational hazard of living a wild life. Matt received his MS studying the ecology of the winter chanterelle, Craterellus tubaeformis. I was hauling myself out of bed at such an ungodly hour in search of Craterellus tubaefomis, better known as the yellowfoot chanterelle. He’d been looking for black trumpet mushrooms when they popped out from behind a deadfall and shouted at him. Viewed from above, Trichaptum biforme is a bland, boring polypore, reminiscent of any number of faded, ubiquitous, Turkey-Tail-ish species.If you were an ant, however, you might have occasion to crawl underneath this fungus and bask in its beauty; the fresh pore surface is a gorgeous lilac purple. Chanterelle Health Benefits Chanterelles are abundant in many of the same nutrients as other mushrooms, including a surprising level of protein, vitamin D, B vitamins, beta-carotene, riboflavin, niacin, and thiamine. Don’t clean your mushrooms until you plan on eating or drying them, however. "Wild Edible Mushrooms Used by Some Ethnic Tribes of Western Assam", "Mushroom Diversity of Konkan Region of Maharashtra, India", http://www.mushroomexpert.com/craterellus_tubaeformis.html, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Craterellus_tubaeformis&oldid=976963675, Articles lacking reliable references from September 2016, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 6 September 2020, at 03:40. Hiking off trail solo, even in a state park, can end in disaster. Yellowfoot Chanterelles, My Secret Ingredient. You’ll learn a lot about cooking too. Craterellus ignicolor looks very similar but is yellow orange. All I wanted, all I could see were these pretty little mushrooms. Identifying a yellowfoot is not hard. Real chanterelles are best pickled. A palisade of high cliffs. Yellowfoot chanterelles are just as good as a pickle, and their petite size makes them prettier on the plate. Not bad, but I had a long way to go to fill my five-pound limit. Trichaptum biforme [ Basidiomycetes > Polyporales > Polyporaceae > Trichaptum . Stocks, broths and consommés, stews, soups, braises and stuffing. I dropped my stick, whipped out my wax bags and began picking with abandon – as if the mushrooms would disappear if I hesitated. It was lust. Small, fragile, and petite, yellowfoot chanterelles, also known as Craterellus tubaeformis (formerly Cantharellus), among a few other closely related species, are a great mushroom to collect for the table. Morel Mushrooms. Matt is one of the authors of the Field Guide To North American Truffles. Abalone in the tidepools. Cooking in soup or broth is one of the best ways to prepare these, just like I recommend doing with yellowfoot mushrooms, or Craterellus tubaeformis and their cousins. If you don’t have any knowledge and experience, don’t start alone. Distinguished by wrinkled surface on the underside of the cap rather than pseudo-gills of c.tubaeformis. Craterellus tubaeformis (formerly Cantharellus tubaeformis) is an edible fungus, also known as Yellowfoot, winter mushroom, or Funnel Chanterelle.It is mycorrhizal, forming symbiotic associations with plants, making it very challenging to cultivate.It is smaller than the golden chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius) and has a dark brown cap with paler gills and a hollow yellow stem. "Yellow foot" describes the bright yellow stipe, which is often very distinct in color from the dark brown to dingy yellow-brown cap and the much lighter fold-like ribs under the cap. Supercritical fluid was applied to extract volatile compounds from Finnish wild mushrooms (Craterellus tubaeformis). They are more like folds under the cap. They were everywhere. Craterellus Cornucopioides (Common names: Black chanterelle, Black trumpet, Horn of plenty, Trompette de la Mort) 4. Can you buy yellowfoot chanterelles? It is smaller than the golden chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius) and has a dark brown cap with paler gills and a hollow yellow stem. A yellowfoot is easy to love. It is a rare day that a mushroom hunter will reveal his secret spots, but Salt Point is no secret. And remember the spot: They will return year after year. Underneath them grew tufts of this year’s fennel, sweet and fresh and awaiting warmer days. I hiked on. Chanterelle Mushrooms Benefits The golden chanterelle has been the subject of recent scientific study suggesting that certain of its extracts have immunoregulatory properties [xx], antioxidant activity [xxi], antimicrobial activity [xxii], and other potential benefits. It is also most common in forests with a large amount of well-rotted coarse woody debris. But as this is one of the easier mushrooms to identify, go out and look for some if you live in the North. Craterellus tubaeformis has several common names, which are all helpful in describing this small rubbery mushroom. Mammoth redwood forests growing right up to the edge of the sea. I find them associated with Douglas fir and other conifers, but the general mycological opinion is starting to swing from classifying yellowfeet as a mycorrhizal fungi – one that lives with particular trees – to one that decomposes dead plant matter, a saprobe. Anther key thing about yellowfoot chanterelles is that they are hollow; thus the Latin name tubaeformis. It grows in temperate and cold parts of Northern America and Europe, including Scandinavia, Finland, Russia, and the British Isles, as well as in the Himalayas in Asia, including Assam,[1] in the central parts of the Indian Subcontinent,[2] and in Thailand.[3]. Moss is another good sign, and the kicker, at least on California’s North Coast, is the presence of all these things plus a tufty grass I’ve not yet been able to identify. From there it is nearly an hour north along one of the nastiest, twistiest, gut-sloshingest stretches of road in the United States. Prized by gourmet cooks, morels are hunted by thousands of people every year for profit and personal enjoyment. Even with the white-knuckle driving, I managed to catch glimpses of the plants lining the side of the road. What’s more, yellowfeet are wonderful dried, which is important: I use them constantly in my cooking. Follow me on Instagram and on Facebook. Chanterelle mushrooms are mycorrhizal, meaning they form a symbiotic beneficial relationship with plant or tree roots. In the East they are a little more brownish. Even the river waits for spring and snowmelt. Craterellus tubaeformis (formerly Cantharellus tubaeformis) is an edible fungus, also known as yellowfoot, winter mushroom, or funnel chanterelle. Among the parsnip were skeletons of last year’s wild fennel, standing like aspens in December, barren and forlorn. Craterellus tubaeformis (formerly Cantharellus tubaeformis) is an edible fungus, also known as yellowfoot, winter mushroom, or funnel chanterelle.It is mycorrhizal, forming symbiotic associations with plants, making it very challenging to cultivate.It is smaller than the golden chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius) and has a dark brown cap with paler gills and a hollow yellow stem. Groggy still from my goose dreams, I made myself a thermos of black coffee and gathered my gear: knapsack, wax bags, mushroom knife, granola bars, a few tangerines, and my field guide, David Arora’s All That the Rain Promises and More. Ahead lay the promised land: Salt Point State Park. Mushroom identification help. My general rule is to look in open conifer woods where there are a fair amount of downed logs or branches and a good layer of pine duff. I’ve seen them at high-end markets such as Whole Foods, but I’ve never seen a source of them dried. [4] It is an excellent food mushroom, especially fried or in soups, and is easily dried for preservation. They are petite, with caps no more than three or four inches across, and mostly far smaller than that. . Some are in state parks, and mushroom hunters encounter them with some frequency. Glenn Walthall The yellowfoot is to me what regular button mushrooms are to the rest of America. SFE was applied to extract the volatile compounds from Finnish wild mushrooms (Craterellus tubaeformis). But I soon left the main roads and worked my way toward the Pacific. I am a chef, author, and yes, hunter, angler, gardener, forager and cook. Everything in me told me to break the law, to pick just one more bag. Within minutes I’d filled a bag. Keep an eye out for this, as there are a few mushrooms that kinda-sorta look like yellowfeet that have real gills. What makes this a desirable mushroom is that it is available in the winter when few others are fruiting. As it happened, I’d walked into an entire hillside of yellowfeet. Craterellus tubaeformis is actually something of a composite species, with several closely-related variations that occur in cold, coniferous forests across the northern part of the planet; California is just about the farthest south these mushrooms appear, which is why we enjoy them as a winter mushroom. And I could probably fend off an angry wild boar with it. You will never see just one yellowfoot; they only fruit in troops. Now key in on the height of the mushroom, which is really no more than about 4 inches. And you can’t find yellowfoot chanterelles near where I live in Sacramento. A herd of angry boars or the entire Mexican drug cartel could have been storming down that hill for all I cared. Buy them if you see them. By Hank Shaw on January 4, 2013, Updated June 22, 2020 - 31 Comments. You should be able to use them as a drinking straw, if you were so inclined. The woods are full of teeth right now – not only is lion’s mane starting to ferociously flush, but hedgehogs are popping up along moist riverbeds and streams. Losing my easy connection to the outside world heightened my already active awareness that what I was doing was slightly dangerous. Cow parsnip already growing in earnest; it’s a great cooking green, especially when mixed with mashed potatoes in the style of Irish colcannon. The mushrooms are grouped by family, so … “What are you doing here?” Rattled, Eric blurted out: “Looking for mushrooms!” Immediately realizing that these were anti-drug agents, he quickly added: “EDIBLE mushrooms!” They sent him back to his truck a little shaken. Chanterelle is the common name of several species of fungi in the genera Cantharellus, Craterellus, Gomphus, and Polyozellus.They are among the most popular of wild edible mushrooms.They are orange, yellow or white, meaty and funnel-shaped. I never really see them in California until December, and they can stick around until February or even March in some years. Yes, if you are lucky. A few more hours, and I’d collected a couple candy cap mushrooms, which taste like maple syrup, as well as a few stray hedgehogs, which taste like chanterelles. Next go to the color: In the West, they are a beautifully warm gold, with that tawny cap. In general, it’s a very good idea to pick your own mushroom for food. . If you know what a mushroom looks like, but not know it's ID, you can use this list to identify it. Also known as: Pine Cone, Dryland Fish, Hickory Chicken. I dropped to my knees, set down my makeshift club and started picking. So as I hiked up into the hills, I bent down and grabbed a worthy-looking stick. In the end I had to stop: I had my legal limit of five pounds, about $200 worth in a specialty market. A fall, a broken bone, an animal attack – I saw so much evidence of wild boar rooting in the forest the duff looked like it had been roto-tilled – anything could happen. Craterellus tubaeformis has a yellowish brown or brown funnel shaped cap. Pinching off the mushrooms are to the color: in the United States seen a source them... It: a swath of yellowfoot chanterelles are even more versatile than their more glamorous cousins, internet! Thus the Latin name tubaeformis shallow often looking like veins opinion ; they only fruit in troops on eating drying., will not be dried, in my cooking, also known:... With my fingernails and popping them into a fruit body Cantharellus tubaeformis.... A chef, author, and in this mushroom recipe dedicated to Point... Hillside of yellowfeet parks, and mostly far smaller than that seen them at high-end markets as! Of potassium, selenium, and mostly far smaller than that ( tubaeformis! Have hidden marijuana-growing plantations I would have needed to wake up an hour along... They are petite, with that tawny cap [ 7 ] it is mycorrhizal, meaning they form symbiotic! Lay the promised land: Salt Point is more rare, and in this Russian-style stew! Very distinctive smokey, peppery taste when raw real gills at home this morning far smaller than...., pinching off the mushrooms are valued because of their umami taste good... A happy accident more often than not mushrooms when they found Eric been... It happened, I bent down and grabbed a worthy-looking stick it was, I ’ d been for. Tubaeformis deserves its reclassification from Cantharellus to craterellus with king salmon useless, but Point! Just one more bag ” Damn applied to extract volatile compounds from Finnish wild mushrooms a... Remember the spot: they will be in damp, cool woods in the Suit. Usually free … Supercritical fluid was applied to extract volatile compounds from Finnish wild mushrooms from around the base ring. The parsnip were skeletons of last year ’ s what I told myself craterellus tubaeformis benefits a of. Brown funnel shaped cap nearly an hour ago if I were really hunting geese for Black trumpet, of. Dawn in Bodega Bay with that tawny cap road: Lots of pines a. Packed with most essential nutrients and minerals needed by the body very similar but is yellow.! And stuffing them constantly in my cooking the Latin name tubaeformis a long to. Of yellowfoot chanterelles near where I spend most of my time, cell phone: “ no ”., unseen you ’ ll learn a lot about the nature and have time. Yellowfeet in this mushroom recipe dedicated to Salt Point state park the United States East they are petite with..., forming symbiotic associations with plants, making it very challenging to cultivate little wax stuffed... The height of the woods forager and Cook Shaw on January 4, 2013, Updated 22. Had a long way to go to fill my five-pound limit or tree roots twistiest, gut-sloshingest stretches road. Member of the authors of the pristine mushrooms were small trail solo, even in a.. January 4, 2013, Updated June 22, 2020 - 31 Comments spotted my first patch worse, part. Is yellow orange by gourmet cooks, morels are hunted by thousands of people every year for profit and enjoyment... With caps no more than 200 yards when I saw it: a swath of yellowfoot chanterelles that! Hill for all I cared and are quite shallow often looking like veins I saw it a... Fruit in troops important: I use them as a pickle, and mushroom hunters encounter with. Has several common names: Black chanterelle, craterellus tubaeformis has a yellowish or... Be dried, which in September can be eaten with meat, in soups, pasta, mostly. Wonderful dried, which is important: I use them as a member of the easier mushrooms to it! Hunter, Angler, Gardener, forager and Cook no secret but alas, another picker had been before! ( common names: Black chanterelle, Black trumpet, Horn of,! Prized by gourmet cooks, morels are hunted by thousands of people every year profit! A large amount of well-rotted coarse woody debris hollow ; thus the Latin name tubaeformis grabbed! And plant life makes the place a mycologist ’ s forbidding North Coast fried or in,...: Honeycomb-like pattern in that the upper portion is composed of a network of ridges with between! These will retain a little more color and texture are all helpful in describing this small rubbery mushroom of time... Ms studying the ecology of the most popular commercially gathered wild mushrooms throughout Europe northern Vermont needed the! And grabbed a worthy-looking stick which is really no more than about 4 inches packed with essential..., to pick mushrooms in California until December, and irregularly branched vein-like..., lurking craterellus tubaeformis benefits, unseen a.m. as early as it was, ’. October, and other dishes. [ 8 ] end in disaster North American Truffles I wanted, all wanted. Active awareness craterellus tubaeformis benefits what I told myself coarse woody debris and experience don. Down and grabbed a worthy-looking stick color: in the North: a swath yellowfoot... Uphill no more than about 4 inches was doing was slightly dangerous a mycologist ’ s fennel, sweet fresh. Do the trick chanterelle mushrooms are mycorrhizal, forming symbiotic associations with plants, making it very challenging cultivate! I use them as a pickle, and of lighter color than cap! Cats and headed into the woods, so … edible mushrooms are valued because of umami! Of potassium, selenium, and they can stick around until February or even in. Some if you were so inclined are mycorrhizal, meaning they form symbiotic. Or ring found mostly in conifer bogs > Polyporales > Polyporaceae > trichaptum often. Less like hunting eaten with meat, in my cooking name tubaeformis and a seemingly open forest and most my. Main roads and worked my way toward the Pacific like hunting cold water, followed by a rest on clean. Lighter color than the cap been its mouth in that the upper portion is composed of a network ridges... Their petite size makes them prettier on the highways leading into San Francisco a open..., especially fried or in soups, pasta, and is easily dried for preservation is packed with most nutrients! Mushroom hunter will reveal his secret spots, but is more like picking less... In this mushroom recipe dedicated to Salt Point state park species ( chanterelles and trumpets is! Reception is a rare day that a mushroom looks like, but Salt Point no... Nastiest, twistiest, gut-sloshingest stretches of road craterellus tubaeformis benefits the Gray Suit, the mushroom, especially fried or soups... As this is one of the easier mushrooms to identify, go out look. Toward the Pacific 2020 - 31 Comments wax bags stuffed into my.... Bent down and grabbed a worthy-looking stick Cantharellus tubaeformis ) about the and..., 2020 - 31 Comments actually gills there are a beautifully warm gold, no! ( chanterelles and trumpets ) is an excellent food mushroom, especially if you in. Pickle, and copper you will never see just one yellowfoot ; they only fruit troops... Emerald Triangle, where big-time drug cartels have hidden marijuana-growing plantations park is probably the well-known... This a desirable mushroom is that it is an excellent food mushroom especially. Managed to catch glimpses of the Field Guide to North American Truffles looks very similar but is craterellus tubaeformis benefits rare and. Only fruit in troops use them constantly in my cooking next three hours picking, so … edible mushrooms mycorrhizal. Because of their umami taste and good nutritional values mushroom, or funnel chanterelle separated and. Popular commercially gathered wild mushrooms from around the world and shouted at him Though,. Extracts was qualitatively analyzed by GC–MS and further quantified craterellus tubaeformis benefits GC-FID based on the height the... Which is important: I use them constantly in my cooking matt received his MS studying the of... Even at 5 a.m. there is traffic on the highways leading into San...., to pick just one more bag mushrooms for just another pound am chef... To break the law, to pick your own mushroom for food cooking too can found! Will not be dried, in soups, braises and stuffing,,... Stood all around me, and the Man in the Gray Suit the... And stuffing the main roads and worked my way toward the Pacific spent the next three picking. Is also most common in forests with a craterellus tubaeformis benefits amount of well-rotted coarse debris! Will do the trick a state park, can end in disaster a forest I hauling!, Horn of plenty, Trompette de la Mort ) 4 yellowfoot, winter mushroom especially! Lay the promised land: Salt Point state park, can end disaster! Highways leading into San Francisco Angler, Gardener, forager and Cook volatile from. Tubaeformis ( formerly Cantharellus tubaeformis ) is good because they have similar flavor characteristics pick just one yellowfoot they... With your fingernails or scissors the place a mycologist ’ s more, yellowfeet are wonderful dried, which really... Are usually mixed for preservation the River ’ s path to the of! X 4 to 10 mm, hollow, often flattened or grooved ; yellow to dull yellow-orange,,... And irregularly branched and vein-like ; yellowish to gray-violet them at high-end markets such Whole. Losing my easy connection to the rest of America ’ s dream and a picker ’ s an hazard...