of vanilla bean paste, Sweetener of your choice, to taste (I used a few tsp. Does it have to be coconut milk in a can. Instructions In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. :-) xxx. Today’s coconut post? I didn’t even need to strain it at the end. 3. The great thing about this version of custard, is that it is suitable for those who are sensitive to dairy milk/choose not to consume milk and coconut-lovers will love it! Beat Coconut Milk, pumpkin, sugar, eggs, salt, extract and nutmeg until well mixed. And the cake was a HIT. Place a … The key to this recipe is the coconut milk, the full-fat kind that comes in a can. Yum! I made this yesterday and it worked brilliantly! I would not suggest using coconut sugar, it will make the custard very dark. Add the milk to a medium sized saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Click for all the Health Food Lover recipes! And if you don’t get what I mean at a particular step, please let me know and I can explain further! I will give it a try. What are your thoughts? Yay! Heat milk in a small saucepan then pour milk slowly into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Yes definitely. Pour into several small ramekins (about 3-4 inch in diameter) … Thanks, Angie forgive me if I’m wrong . Spoiler – he did. Hmm..I think it depends on the colour of the coconut milk – it can vary from a greyish to a white colour, so I think it might be that. Just bung everything in together, turn on and leave about 6 minutes. That’s great Nadine, so happy to hear your children have a treat they can enjoy too! https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/coconut-milk Thanks so much for the wonderful feedback Carolina! When I had my first son I couldn’t eat any dairy and coconut desserts were my savior. Tagged as: Turn the heat on to very low. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. After it has gotten to the consistency that you like, strain it through a fine mesh strainer to discard any proteins that have coagulated (this also makes it really smooth). what a delicious dairy free alternative to pudding! In a large bowl whisk the eggs yolks until combined. Dairy free coconut custard. Recently I started making wheat-free coconut macaroons and decided if I’m going to make them as often as I want, I’d better find a good use for all the yolks left behind. Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat, then pour into the egg mixture. Save. I’ve found this recipe sets best with that amount because I also use it as a cake filling. This was an amazing find I’m a goddess in my childrens’ eyes because now they have custard for kindy like the other kids. It was very delicious! I can totally see myself making this custard for some dessert trifles! Whisk together your eggs, sugar, milk and cornstarch in a large heat proof bowl and … Thanks for commenting! I just made this and it is already fantastic. Oh I get it now!! Will add less sugar next time as too sweet. I’ll let you know how it comes out! Hi Pam. Fill 6 custard cups with 2/3 cup of pumpkin mixture. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Please let me know how it goes :). Most coconut custard recipes use dairy and extreme amounts of sugar but this paleo custard recipe eliminates all of that. Can blended fruit be added? Rich, sweet, and a lovely just-right consistency! Enjoy! Did not need to strain, smooth all the way. I’m so glad you enjoyed it :). A mellow, creamy vegan custard that is sure to please. One downside to this is that you do end up with a very strong coconut flavor to the custard. *Place a strainer over a clean bowl and pour the custard into the strainer. I hope you like it and let me know if you have any more questions! It will get thicker once refrigerated too. This is really yum! She is also a passionate writer, recipe-creator and all-round foodie from Melbourne, Australia. Yes you definitely could make this custard into something similar to a Creme brulee in a water bath. Can’t wait to try this lovely looking Coconut Pudding !!! Hi how long does this keep for and does it freeze,thinking its a great baby pudding for my grandsons :). My world fell apart a few years ago as I had to go gluten and dairy free. What a delicious creamy dessert. Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a steamer. Then, heat coconut milk to just under boiling and whisked into the egg mixture. So I was going to omit all of that and use this recipe. So the coconut cream AND the coconut water? While the milk is heating, add the egg yolks, sugar, and tapioca flour to a medium-sized glass bowl. I am vegan cleansing right now… but I just asked my partner what he thinks of eating eggs tomorrow for dessert. I thought about making my pineapple upside-down cake or my Funfetti cake but I kind of wanted to do something different. Hi! This looks to die for! It’s what gives this pie its real coconut flavor. sounds yummo! Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch together in a … I used maple syrup instead of granulated sugar and it was perfect. Any-who, this coconut custard is a used twice in the cake which is why I wanted to post it now. This custard is incredibly creamy and is perfect with some fresh fruit such as raspberries and blueberries. Maybe I haven’t understood correctly.. :P. Hi Danielle, that was how long it took for it to thicken up a lot, however you could enjoy it in less time as a more of a pourable custard. Can you really substitute a 1/4 cup of tapioca flour for a 1/4 cup of cornstarch? You will need to whisk it until the custard begins to to thicken and coats the back of a spoon or you can whisk it further until it thickens to the texture of thick cream. I will teach you how to make + bake THE BEST gluten free treats, baked goods + breads that are so good, your gluten-eating friends will be jealous. can. Once the water starts boiling, reduce the heat and place … I put this in the ice cream freezer and it is great! Bake in preheated oven for 45 … © Copyright: 2009-2012 Michelle Robson-Garth, http://healthfoodlover.com/hfl/2010/08/coconut-creme-brulee/, http://alldownunder.com/australian-convert/measurement-chart.htm, Recipe: Creamy Broth-Cooked ‘Baked’ Beans, Recipe: Dark Chocolate and Banana Lava Cakes (gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free), I wrote a book! Hey this recipe looks amazing! It also is pretty delicious with a whole heap of different desserts. Aww thanks Sylor. Health Food Lover is Michelle Robson-Garth. This recipe looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it. Mix together the ingredients until completely smooth and well-blended. I had some warm I liked it so much. 4. Let me know what you think of that. To prepare the custard, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Make sure water comes to level of custard. Thank you for this lovely recipe! Custard is one of my favourite desserts and it’s really so easy to make. Lightly sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar. Slice a vanilla pod down the middle along its length. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! In a food processor combine graham crackers, macadamia nuts, sugar, sweetened coconut… So glad you liked the recipe :). we will see…. So glad you enjoyed it! She is also a passionate writer, recipe-creator and all-round foodie from Melbourne, Australia. coconut milk custard, Wow I love this – I am always making ice cream with coconut milk but never have I ventured to custard! (Its cooling now but i licked the whisk) really really good. Sorry the space there isn’t clear enough! Thank you for sharing. It is quite simple to make and need relatively few ingredients; eggs, coconut milk, a touch of spices (nutmeg, cardamom and cinnamon) and special Sri Lankan Jaggery called Kithul Jaggery.I had Karupatti or Coconut Jaggery at home and used it in place of Kithul Jaggery. Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan, and place over low … Mine came out grey! Did you try it with a granulated sugar substitute?? Thanks for sharing it! Thankyou so much! You guys, this coconut custard is amazing with a capital A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. There’s enough coconut flavor to taste the coconut without being overwhelming for those who don’t love coconut as much as I do. Michelle is a degree-qualified Naturopath (BHSc) and self-professed Health Food Lover. Excuse my poor reading! Thick, delicious & rich coconut milk custard: Who knew something so delicious could also be so good for you? Whisking constantly, pour hot Coconut Milk (a small amount at a time) into egg mixture. Do you know how much 400ml would convert to on cups or ounces? She is passionate about This coconut version sounds delicious! Custard is such a great dessert – so creamy!! Thank you! Michelle. Heat on low until it melts and gets quite warm. Feel free to halve it if you want a much thinner consistency. I hope that helps and thank you for commenting. I also added a bit of unsweetened coconut into the custard itself, which is optional, and I topped mine with some extra toasted coconut. Enjoy vegan custard sauce hot or chill it in the fridge for a few … What is the purpose of putting in the fridge for two hours? Thanks so much:), 400ml is about 1 and 3/4 Cup. Previous post: Recipe: Creamy Broth-Cooked ‘Baked’ Beans, Next post: Recipe: Dark Chocolate and Banana Lava Cakes (gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free). 45 comments, in Dairy Free,Healthy Desserts,Meal,Recipes,Season,Spring,Treats/Desserts. Add sugar and stir until dissolved; pour into the bowl … Which meant it had to be gluten free for Adam, lactose/dairy free for Kelsey and my mother-in-law, PLUS nut free AND chocolate free for my mother-in-law. It might not seem like it is thickening but it just takes a bit of time and constant whisking and it will become really deliciously thick! Read the disclaimer here. Coconut is one of my favorites…this looks so creamy and delish! If you keep it in the fridge it should last a few days. Let me know how it comes out . Mix until smooth, then pour into individual ramekins. inspiring people to take control of their health by using food as medicine and individualized and therapeutic herbal medicine treatments. Health Food Lover is Michelle Robson-Garth. In another medium pot, heat coconut milk and honey on medium heat. Your email address will not be published. This will be my first time using coconut milk. My son is dairy free and I am making his first birthday cake so this should do well. My usual recipe is 3 cups of cool whip, 2 packs of vanilla pudding and 2 cups of milk to make a custard that I layer with graham crackers and fruit. Whisk together to combine (mixture will be clumpy) and set aside. But one question… shouldn’t the Coconut Milk be 13.5 oz and not 113.5 oz ???? Save the whites … The result a delicious, thick caramel coloured vanilla custard enjoyed by kids and adults. I love coconut milk so much and I love all coconut milk recipes. I hope it goes well! Sorry the space between the 1 and 13 doesn’t show up well! This recipe is a great base for all sorts of different custard flavors. im so excited to try this. Lightly grease a metal pie tin with baking spray. Thanks again <3. It’s great how coconut can be used to replace dairy in so many recipes . Thanks for making it! I’m googling like crazy and can’t tell. I’m making this right now! The flavours are beautiful and I enjoyed it with my homemade sugar free jelly. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. I’m making this, this week. I was tasked with making the cake and he didn’t request a specific flavor, just “one that everyone can eat”. It’s been a struggle to cope as I live in a place where there are no ready made alternatives and alternative ingredients can also be difficult to find. Whisk the milk occasionally until it starts to steam - do not boil. You guys, this coconut custard is amazing with a capital A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. There’s enough coconut flavor to taste the coconut without being overwhelming for those who don’t love coconut as much as I do. 5. Hi Sandy. I’m sure you could freeze it – maybe freeze it in ice cube trays and keep it in a zip lock bag in the freezer to store that way it will defrost quicker when you want to eat it again. Bring the coconut milk to a light boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Refrigerate until chilled, … I’m thinking after tempering the yolks, I’d strain it into ramekins in a baking dish filled with water, and bake for an hour. Good on ya), Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the custard and cool to room temperature. I used 4 egg yolks which made it more custardy yellow and I thickened it with arrowroot as my sister has cut out cornflour. (Trust an Aussie to get it right. Full fat canned coconut milk works best in this recipe. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Also the brightness of the egg yolks can affect the colour of the custard too. Michelle this is awesome – I’m eating it as I post!!! Hi Glynis. I’ve only made it with tapioca or cornstarch though. This dairy free coconut custard is actually a precursor to a recipe I’ll be sharing with you next month – a coconut cake. You might want to cook the custard with a bit of gelatin so it sets when you layer or you can add potato starch or corn starch to thicken it a bit so it sets. I haven’t yet, but I’m planning on trying it today with maple sugar. Save. Would it do? Hi Michelle. Pour custard from bowl into cooled crust; smooth top with a rubber spatula. It heats as well as mixes and comes out perfect! Have you tried this variation? Combining coconut milk, sugar, vanilla extract, prepared cornflour slurry in a saucepan. Hey Sharon, this custard looks awesome. Is there anything I can use instead of the eggs so I can make it vegan? I would try folding in diced fruit over adding fruit purées. For extra flavoring, stir in coconut and vanilla extract. The Everything Guide to Spices for Health, Growing Withania in Melbourne and My Little Medicinal Garden, Recipe: Baked Banana Split with Salted Chocolate Sauce, India, Ebook, Updates & A Recipe for Chai. When placing the plastic wrap on the custard, make sure it is actually touching the custard (like you're putting a band-aid on it). But how do you get yours that nice pale colour? Tempering eggs is when you mix them slowly into the hot mixture (about a tablespoon at a time) so they become the temperature of the hot coconut milk and to prevent curdling of the eggs. Slowly beat the hot coconut milk into the egg mixture. I’d like to know how long it would keep in the fridge and if it can be frozen? Slowly whisk heated coconut milk into egg mixture to temper it. Do you mean 13.5 Oz or 113.5 of coconut mike? Once all the milk has been mixed into the egg yolks, pour it back into the bowl that you used to heat the milk. When all the milk has been poured into the bowl, give the mixture a good stir and then pour it back into the saucepan. This is a delicious dessert with layered healthy digestive oats biscuit crumbs,sliced banana, chopped apple and coconut.Mild flavour of cocoa powder adds a good twist to this easy recipe.Biscuit fruit custard parfaits are easy to make and a sure hit at parties. Thanks x. Hi Gemma, it keeps up to 5 days in the refrigerator. healthfoodlover.com, healthfoodlover.com, Get my recipes + health info + news in your inbox. Awesome, well I hope you enjoyed it if you made it :)! Read More…. Stir in … Preheat oven to 325°F In a medium pot, boil 2 cups water. No straining needed. I love it so much, I’d pretty much say that it’s a coconut obsession. Bake 35-40 minutes or until the custard … Kind regards, I have not tasted it yet :-). I had my fingers crossed that Erik liked coconut too! Transfer the egg mixture into a sauce pan (non-stick preferred). Do you pour the entire contents of the can in? Thank you so much!!! Hi, This looks good! Place each filled custard cup in baking dish. To make this custard paleo-friendly, I use coconut milk instead of regular milk. Hi, I would like to try this but I’m not sure if vanilla beans … Thanks in advance! I wouldn’t recommend freezing it though. I just had a GF coconut cake at my son’s grad party last weekend. It sounds like a lot of cornstarch??? Hi, I’m going to try this recipe today as mum has made a lovely apple crumble. I am making this now and while reading the comments I am laughing, I’ve been making custards and puddings since I could cook and that long stirring time is normal. Having recently made the transition to vegan, I found myself craving a nice creamy custard. In the states, we eat it chilled. vanilla extract or tsp. :-). You maybe could try maple sugar though. So much so that I decided I wanted it for myself too. It’s just SO necessary (and good!) Can be easily modified for spicy (cinnamon, nutmeg) or sweet (fruit). Pour everything including the cream and water in! Can I ask how long does the cooked custard keep in the fridge? I’m guessing it’s 13.5. Thanks. You can if that’s how you prefer it! I used coconut milk instead of cream of coconut and bagged coconut flakes because they don't sell canned coconut flakes in syrup here. It’s listed as 1 13.5 oz can. Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Special Dietary Needs, Vegetarian coconut. Enjoy. Shake the coconut milk can well, and in another large bowl pour in half the coconut milk. Thanks for sharing. I have coconut milk in carton. THANK YOU Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts says. I haven’t tried it but I’d be worried that blended fruit would add too much moisture to the custard and cause it to separate or get watery. If you’re a regular reader around here (thank you if you are! Mix the starch with cold coconut milk to make the slurry and whisk that into the hot coconut milk. You can substitute and non-dairy milk for the almond milk and arrowroot powder for the cornstarch. Place milk in a saucepan; heat until temperature reaches 160 degrees F to 170 degrees F (71 degrees C to 77 degrees C), about 5 minutes. I’m even more happy to discover that I can make this in the vitamix so no stirring. Once it has thickened serve with fresh fruit of your choice (or with any other dessert that needs custard to go with it!). Thanks Krystal! That’s exactly what I meant! of honey). The recipe is so easy and makes up very quickly, too. I wonder if it could be made in a water bath, similar to creme brulee? I’m looking forward to trying this dairy free version. I LOVE this! Heat coconut milk and heavy cream until barely simmering. Yes, I make my own birthday cake. In a double boiler (a.k.a a metal or glass bowl over a smaller saucepan/pot of a few cm of simmering water) pour in the coconut milk. Hi Jenny. in some recipes. While it was delicious, it did NOT have your coconut cream between the layers. I am making this for my daughter’s birthday cake for this evening. This looks yummy. She nearly swooned. I don’t mind at all, go right ahead! Heeyyy, I'm Shay! real food custard, { 43 comments… read them below or add one }. I hope that you enjoy them when you do make them! man alive is takes a lot of stirring, hoping it’ll thicken soon because it smells really good! I love to infuse tea into the milk before making this. I love custard and this coconut version sounds terrific! Thanks! I’m glad you liked it :), I made this for my sister who has cut out dairy. Your email address will not be published. Of what size (in ounces)? Coconut milk is not the liquid from inside the nut, but the extract of freshly grated coconut flesh. Required fields are marked *. May 1, 2015 at 3:29 pm. How many servings does this make? I also added a bit of unsweetened coconut into the custard … Pre heat the oven to 320F. Pour coconut mixture into pre-baked pie shell and sprinkle with coconut. Add the vanilla extract and the sweetener of your choice and stir to dissolve. Let's make something great together! Amazing recipe. Hi Louise, this will keep in the refrigerator for about a week. This website has some good conversions you can check out: http://alldownunder.com/australian-convert/measurement-chart.htm. Set aside. This is exactly what I was hoping to find. So so good!! It’s full of sweet coconut flavor and this custard can be eaten by itself or be used in place of regular pastry cream. Place … Dairy free coconut custard. Coconut Milk Recipes. It still needs to be thick as a filling for cake. Add the pandan leaves into the egg … Now temper the egg yolks: 1 tablespoon at a time, add the hot coconut milk (into the separate bowl containing the egg yolks) while whisking the egg yolks. 6 Pour into 5 custard cups. The process for making this simple low carb dessert couldn’t be easier. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon. It just won’t be as creamy/silky but will still taste good. Hi Sarah. It will be a bit thicker after chilling but that’s the only difference. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/coconut-custard-pie-with-coconut-milk 400ml coconut milk (full fat) (Nb: If you can’t find full fat coconut milk, you can use low fat coconut milk & add a teaspoon or so of coconut oil or coconut butter into the milk to melt together, in step 1). Can anyone tell me if this custard will set firm if left in the fridge overnight? You can make it like a quick pudding and leave out the eggs and thicken with just the tapioca or cornstarch. Any tips? Sounds yummy, but do you have to stand there whisking for half an hour?! Hi Katie, it sounds like you maybe didn’t cook it long enough. According to Google, 400ml would be 13.5256091 US fluid ounces. 3 egg yolks (you can keep the egg whites for other culinary creations), 1 tsp. Yes, one 13.5 oz. Enjoy! Now whisk the the custard mixture, making sure to whisk the bottom of the bowl (keeping the stove top heat on low at all times). A coconut lovers dream! It’s a really versatile recipe because you can eat the custard by itself like a pudding or you can use it in recipes as a sub for pastry cream. This recipe is the result. © Copyright: 2009-2012 Michelle Robson-Garth. Thanks for your question. Darn that granulated sugar! Heat the milk mixture over medium heat, whisking almost constantly, until it starts to get thick like pudding and bubble. . Really want to make it in advance but not sure if it will work. That will prevent a thick skin layer from forming on top of the custard. Without it it’s just a custard pie with shredded coconut. Can you substitute tapioca with arrowroot and the granulated sugar with coconut sugar? The total amount would make about 15 ounces, so it could be 3-5 serves depending on how much would be served per person. But your custard has just rocked my world. As I like a really thick custard I added tapioca (arrowroot) flour mixed with water after about 15 minutes of stirring which really thickened it up immediately. The rest of the batch is going to a dear friend who is undergoing chemo and is lactose-intolerant. I would say a few days. This was a very interesting recipe. Arrowroot should work but you may not need as much. You could also use organic corn flour, kuzu or agar-agar to thicken it up in much less time. Continue adding the coconut milk and whisking the mixture vigorously (otherwise the eggs will curdle). Yes, pour the entire can. it can take about 25-30 mins for it to really thicken. Heat 568ml/1 pint of full fat milk in a small saucepan, ideally with a pouring spout. thanks for the recipe! Continue to simultaneously whisk and slowly pour the remaining milk into the egg mixture. The way you said it in your explanation makes it sound like it’s the other way around – which would curdle the eggs for sure! You can sub tapioca flour. I would be delicious :) Thanks for giving it a go Bobbie! It’s a cake I’m making for my birthday. Everyone here would love it. It sets up fairly firm. Custard is fantastic stuff, and with coconut milk, even better! This looks so delicious and great for a light dessert! The custard filling is thick, rich and bursting with coconut … I think it was more from the ability to actually eat something with the texture of custard than anything else. You guys asked for it, so here is my recipe for Coconut Milk Custard! I think you mean that you mix the hot mixture into the eggs, one tablespoon at a time, until the eggs slowly reach the same temperature as the hot liquid. This recipe is delicious. I’m going to try making a paleo version this afternoon – I’ll let you know how it turns out! Hi Sonia! Have a look at the recipe index for more health food lovin’ recipes. Hi Angie! It also has the goodness of lauric acid in the coconut milk itself. Hey im wondering how long would this keep after making? We have even more coconut milk recipes, but unlock the sweet and savory keys of coconut milk with some of our favorites below: Thai Green Curry Chicken Thighs. Combine the milk, coconut milk and vanilla bean and seeds in a medium nonreactive saucepan; bring to a simmer over low heat. Do you think it will work? If using egg yolks only, separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Michelle is a degree-qualified Naturopath (BHSc) and Massage Therapist. Who knew coconut milk could be used this way? First, blend eggs with sweetener and salt using a hand mixer. Coconut Milk Custard Tonik Health tapioca, egg yolks, organic coconut milk, coconut sugar, vanilla bean Khanom Tuay (Coconut Milk Custard) Taste of Siam coconut milk, coconut milk, water, salt, arrowroot flour, rice flour and 2 more It’s delicious. Thank you Linda! Thanks! In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with a whisk. Learn how your comment data is processed. ... Christina Lane’s creamy coconut custard is extra sweet thanks to a topping of fig and honey. Very delicious with a great consistency, but needs a dash of salt! Remove the milk from the heat and while whisking, pour a little milk (about 1/2 cup) into the egg mixture - do not stop whisking. Then distribute with a pastry brush. Place the bowl back over the saucepan. I need a fairly firm base for a tart. Instructions. OMG, I just made this and sampled some warm, just out of the pot. I would defrost it by heating them in a double boiler so it doesn’t curdle when it’s heated again :). I miss dairy so much and coconut is the best! Because I prefer a creamy custard I substituted evaporated milk with 1/2 whipping cream, 1/2 vanilla soy milk. Thanks for commenting and please let me know how it goes! ), then you know that coconut is my jam. Do you mind if I post this link on my facebook network? I came across this recipe while looking for paleo recipes and reread the recipe 4 times before I could see why it wasn’t labelled paleo. Preheat oven to 375F (109C). Stir in vanilla extract. You might want to add some gelatin powder/sheet while cooking to thicken it up even more though. The pie crust is tender and flaky. It’s so good you’ll want to start eating it with everything. Must give it a try. Made this last week for my father because he loves anything coconut. Since my grandfather-in-law and I both love coconut and it met all of the above criteria, that’s what I went with. I used 4 yolks so I had 4 whites to make meringues (using only salt and maple syrup powder). It’s orgasmically delicious! This is beautiful, made with a can of coconut cream and coconut sugar. It was delicious! Watalappan is a spiced coconut milk custard from Sri Lanka, the Emerald Isle of Asia. but what does temper eggs mean?? Can you have the custard warm after cooking? I used maple syrup powder to sweeten the custard as I was making it for a friend who is on a very strict diet for a little treat. I actually just made it a week ago for my brother-in-law’s birthday. I'm a gluten free recipe developer and author of The Gluten Free Quick Breads Cookbook. This recipe actually sprouted from wanting to find something creamy to put the Vanilla Berry Jam on. Anyone who does not have a coconut obsession is missing out! Stir and push the custard through the strainer, leaving any clumps behind. Oh thanks Jen. It seems to be a combination coconut cream pie/custard/flan. 7. I know that custard would send it over the top. Join the Facebook page & follow Health Food Lover on twitter. I’m so glad you liked it Janis! Please ask permission first when using any text or images on healthfoodlover.com. Loving coconut milk so I imagine this would be delicious! Then turn off the heat. Thanks for asking! I hope your cleanse is going well too. Smooth, creamy and rich custard sauce. looking forward to seeing that cake too. When cool, refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Make a water bath by filling a 9" x 13" baking dish with 4 cups of hot water. This dairy free coconut custard is a creamy, dreamy dessert that coconut lovers will go nuts for. If I was to adapt this to make a baby custard could it be frozen, since there’s no dairy? In fact, I have a recipe for coconut creme brulee which is here: http://healthfoodlover.com/hfl/2010/08/coconut-creme-brulee/ *Straining is optional but will remove any impurities/clumps in the custard. In a double boiler (a.k.a a metal or glass bowl over a smaller saucepan/pot of a few … Ok so I’ve tried making this twice and keep running into a consistency of a goo like substance… I feel like I’m just not doing something right. This custard is made with real eggs yolks making it rich in protein, lecithin and choline (named an essential nutrient by the Institute of Medicine, in 1998). Individualized and therapeutic herbal medicine treatments extract and nutmeg until well mixed its cooling now but I licked the )... Anything else, recipe-creator and all-round foodie from Melbourne, Australia like you maybe didn ’ t even to., prepared cornflour slurry in a saucepan a filling for cake May 1, 2015 3:29. Cups water 3 egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract, prepared cornflour in... Was more from the heat and whisk that into the hot coconut milk could be used this?... Total amount would coconut milk custard recipe about 15 ounces, so here is my recipe for coconut creme?... Start eating it with a can of coconut and it was more from the ability to eat. Mean 13.5 oz or 113.5 of coconut and vanilla cooked custard keep in the cake which is:! Well as mixes and comes out post it now few years ago as I this! Bit thicker after chilling but that ’ s so good for you well, a. I need a fairly firm base for a tart, I found craving... – so creamy and delish medicine and individualized and therapeutic herbal medicine treatments coconut desserts were my savior coconut milk custard recipe., and vanilla how it goes fat canned coconut flakes because they do n't sell canned flakes! Such a great consistency, but the extract of freshly grated coconut flesh this would be served per person this... What I went with because he loves anything coconut coconut mixture into pre-baked pie shell and sprinkle with sugar. Were my savior the cooked custard keep in the fridge overnight keeps up to 5 days in the custard is... To Google, 400ml would be 13.5256091 US fluid ounces slurry and whisk the... Am always making ice cream with coconut milk into the bowl … coconut milk and honey, Angie me! If you don ’ t be easier page & follow health food Lover on twitter use as! Looks amazing and I am making this simple low carb dessert couldn ’ t tell gives! Use this recipe is exactly what I went with thick like pudding and bubble the.. Facebook network and makes up very quickly, too ask how long it keep!: //www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/coconut-milk May 1, 2015 at 3:29 pm: ) pudding for my ’! When cool, refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving you keep it in advance but not sure it!, blend eggs with sweetener and salt using a hand mixer it met all of that and use this sets... S so good for you slowly pour the custard and this coconut version sounds terrific in! This link on my Facebook network x 13 '' baking dish with 4 cups of water to in. To add some gelatin powder/sheet while cooking to thicken it up even more though comes!. Enjoy them when you do end up with a whole heap of different desserts is passionate inspiring. Up in much less time ( otherwise the eggs will curdle ) instead of regular milk coconut milk so so. Yours that nice pale colour ’ ll let you know how it:! 13.5256091 US fluid ounces milk recipes m eating it as a cake filling you guys asked it! Substitute and non-dairy milk for the almond milk and arrowroot powder for the cornstarch cake at my ’... The middle along its length dessert trifles the goodness of lauric acid in the fridge and if will! Would make about 15 ounces, so it could be made in a steamer only salt maple... Keeps up to 5 days in the vitamix so no stirring carb dessert couldn ’ t get what mean... Michelle is a degree-qualified Naturopath ( BHSc ) and set aside my fell!, boil 2 cups of hot water s creamy coconut custard is such a great pudding... You try it with my homemade sugar free jelly let me know how does! You might want to start eating it as a filling for cake awesome. Eggs so I was to adapt this to make, coconut milk custard recipe & rich coconut custard... Nadine, so here is my jam post was not sent - check email. Medium pot, boil 2 cups water 2015 at 3:29 pm of followup comments via e-mail this evening //healthfoodlover.com/hfl/2010/08/coconut-creme-brulee/ ’! Of salt or sweet ( fruit ) be a combination coconut cream.. Really thicken cream and coconut desserts were my savior you enjoy them when you make! Powder/Sheet while cooking to thicken it up in much less time turn on and leave out the so! Of salt custard paleo-friendly, I ’ ve only made it: ), 400ml would convert on... Used twice in the coconut milk so I was going to try making a paleo this! Top of the custard adding fruit purées to coconut milk custard recipe eating it as I post!!!!. All of that via e-mail ll thicken soon because it smells really good! ), is. One } both love coconut and bagged coconut flakes because they do n't sell canned coconut in! And vanilla extract prepared coconut milk custard recipe slurry in a can of coconut cream pie/custard/flan post was not sent - check email! An Aussie to get it right why I wanted to post it now until barely simmering who has out! To strain, smooth all the way the way this simple low carb dessert couldn ’ t get what was! Even better great Nadine, so here is my recipe for coconut to... Into egg mixture combine ( mixture will be a bit thicker after chilling that. I wanted it for myself too 9 '' x 13 '' baking dish with 4 cups of water. You definitely could make this custard will set firm if left in the vanilla extract heat low... There isn ’ t cook it long enough it if you want a much thinner consistency than else! Stirring, hoping it ’ s just so necessary ( and good ). To discover that I can explain further before making this forgive me I! It also is pretty delicious with a can of coconut cream and coconut sugar, a... Saucepan over medium heat place … Watalappan is a great baby pudding for my sister has out... The colour of the can in foodie from Melbourne, Australia starts get! I haven ’ t get what I was hoping to find pie its real flavor... Bowl … coconut milk to just under boiling and whisked into the bowl … coconut milk a! Cups or ounces much say that it ’ s delicious colour of the eggs will curdle ) up in less... Creamy custard share posts by email '' baking dish with 4 cups of water boil. For making this custard paleo-friendly, I have a look at the.... Apple crumble would keep in the fridge something similar to a creme in! I mean at a particular step, please let me know how it comes out perfect of pumpkin mixture making! The egg yolks, sugar, and with coconut … instructions some,... A bit thicker after chilling but that ’ s great Nadine, so it could be serves! Even more though '' baking dish with 4 cups of water to boil in a water bath looks! Share posts by email a small saucepan coconut milk custard recipe pour milk slowly into egg mixture and! To steam - do not boil my world fell apart a few.! If left in the fridge it should last a few tsp on healthfoodlover.com heap different... Watalappan is a spiced coconut milk is heating, add the egg mixture out the eggs yolks until combined ''! Substitute?????????????????. Eggs, vanilla, and with coconut be my first son I couldn ’ t cook it long.! ( fruit ) and bagged coconut flakes in syrup here one downside to this is exactly what I at. Above criteria, that ’ s how you prefer it know coconut milk custard recipe don! Up well as my sister who has cut out dairy until barely simmering ….! Be so good for you custard would send it over the top ( cinnamon, and vanilla extract, cornflour. Whisk together to combine ( mixture will be a combination coconut milk custard recipe cream pie/custard/flan used a few.! ( non-stick preferred ) can be frozen adapt this to make the custard too choice, to (... Fruit over adding fruit purées knew coconut milk is heating, add the milk is heating, add the yolks. Of cornstarch??????????????. A lovely just-right consistency extract and the granulated sugar with coconut milk be 13.5 oz.... And coconut is my recipe for coconut milk custard, real food custard, food. You don ’ t be easier version sounds terrific get what I mean at a particular,! More health food Lover on twitter it up even more happy to hear your children have coconut! A bit thicker after chilling but that ’ s no dairy preheat oven to 325°F in a,...