Worry and concern written across our faces, we trekked up a bit further and met three other hikers who were looking off into the bushes. Hiking to Porter Mountain adds 1.4 miles round trip to the hike up Cascade Mountain, bringing the distance from 4.8 miles up to 6.2 miles round trip. You start off in the woods on the boring switch backs and then there’s massive rocks you climb across and then at the top you have the scree. Honestly it was very tough but most rewarding hike I’ve ever done. Cascade Mountain is in Essex County of New York.It is one of the 46 Adirondack High Peaks (36th) and is located in the Adirondack Park.Its name comes from a series of waterfalls on a brook near the mountain's base. No snow at the top today, just very windy and cold. We hiked Cascade and Porter in 4 1/2 hours. But once you get to the forest, it begins to climb through a series of switchbacks. The first few kms to the amphitheater are fairly easy with a steady incline. From SLC head south on I-15 and take exit 272 for 800 S. Use the left lane to curve onto HWY 189 to enter Provo Canyon. Everyone agreed this hike was 100x easier than Rundle. QUICK LINKS. You will have to park farther and hike towards the trailhead. Arrived early (8:30am on a weekday) and was able to find parking. 2019 (8) 2018 (2) 2017 (3) 2016 (3) 2015 (6) 2014 (3) 2013 (8) 2012 (5) 2011 (5) 2010 (3) 2009 (1) Trip report archives compiled by month for posts tagged with Cascade Mountain NH (or within 1.5 miles of it). To do this hike as a good hiker was hard. PS: Cascade Mountain (Photo 10) is the nicer, sweeter brother of Mount Rundle. Swinging right, the path follows the ridge at easy to moderate grades until it reaches a … This trail is marked with a yellow flag tape. After crossing the brook on rocks, the trail swings left and begins to climb more steeply until it reaches Cascade's ridge at 1.4 miles. Il y a Plusieurs intersections sans indication. Did this trail by accident on October 8th (I was aiming to do the amphitheatre but took a wrong turn and ended up at the top of it lol) but have 0 regrets. Five of us pressed on ahead. Au sommet nous avions de la neige et température froide vent et sans vu. These posts have been tagged with Cascade Mountain NY, or are within 1.5 miles of it. So, never ever would I have in my wildest imagination conjured up such a surreal scenario where I’m downing shot after shot on a beautiful mountaintop with some of the most amazing humans I have ever met. Another Peak that has had a number of name changes over the years, including the most recent Long Pond Mountain, as well as the more obscure Shining Peak. Thankfully we met another guy by the summit and we all descended together, safety in numbers after all, and it was a good thing because we ended up running into a grizzly near the bottom of the mountain. It is now named for the falls that cascade down its side between Upper and Lower Cascade … In Summary: Even though we never finished to the peak, I am nearly satisfied with this hike. Most of the Cascade climb is a steep, strenuous hike, but a quarter of the route is on loose scree and talus. Nous avons même été témoin d’une demande en mariage . The falls belong to the Deschutes National Forest Preserve. The hike is quite difficult and can take about nine hours for both ways. We were tired, my girlfriend cried, my hands were cut and bleeding but we did it!!!! DIRECTIONS CONTACT. After a series of switchbacks along the well-maintained trail, the trees became sparser and the route a little rockier. Fantastic scramble up the iconic Cascade mountain in Banff. Hiking trail: Cascade Mountain Overall, I would consider this a moderate hike, not too hard or technical, however, it is a long hike so I would schedule an entire day to complete this. Once you get to the Cascade Amphitheater, take the right turn for the summit. Once you get to the Cascade Amphitheater, take the right turn for the summit. The trail starts on Rt 73 and you starts climbing up slowly but not challenging at all. Cascade Mountain Trail Smarts The first challenge of this hike is finding parking at the trailhead which is located past the Long Lakes along Route 73, near Keene Valley, NY. 612 ft. Altitude start. Park in the Mount Norquay parking lot. I’d say that too 15 mins was definitely the hardest. Traversing the false summit needs to be virtually clear of snow to reach the true peak. I had to turn around before reaching the summit due to a late start. Hiking Time On this particular adventure, it took us 4:15 hours to get to the top (slowed somewhat by some route finding), and 7 hours to get down due to taking the wrong ridge on the descent. Next came the boulder field (Photos 4 and 5) - a test of will and mental fortitude for my older friends. I’m terrified of heights and by no means was this an easy feat. Km: 23.5 I will say if you’re doing it for the first time. W10441 Cascade Mountain Rd Portage, WI 53901. With the help of Jägermeister and Agavero tequila shots, I and four of my wiser, senior friends got drunk on the summit of Cascade Mountain. I would consider myself a good hiker but not amazing by any means. Watch out for rocks coming down from above on the last part of the summit trail. Temps: 7h30. By the end I was dead but it was worth it. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. I went solo but met a guy halfway up who convinced me to summit. This is a serious accomplishment! Other summits would have taken 2+ hours round trip. Most hikers attempting to join the ADK 46er club start with this mountain. It was very muddy in places, especially going over to Porter Mountain. I guarantee you will appreciate Cascade that much more. The Cascade Amphitheater trailhead begins just North of the Mystic chairlift. Depending on your level of fitness and style of hiking you can complete both High Peaks in probably 3-4 hours. Trail starts out at the parking lot. While it may be tempting to climb up the steeper left side and reach the top of Peak 2, I do not recommend it unless you want to scramble 25-50 metres down. The views are amazing the best views I’ve ever seen. Views at the top at were great even though we didn't get the full experience due to some mist and rain. However, under normal conditions, you can estimate that it will take you longer to get down due to the large amount of loose rock you … 379 ft. Altitude max. Quite a long and difficult hike in the last hour or two. The view as you descend from the summit of Cascade Mountain. Cascade Mountain Hike Duration It took us just over 6 hours round trip to complete Cascade. Take the Cascade Amphitheater trail to the starting point of the Cascade mountain ascent. Time: 3 hours. Turned around due to a large grizzly sitting on and/or near the trail about three kms in on October 2nd. I have hiked 2/3rds of the high peaks. Cascade Mountain is a prominent peak towering over the Town of Banff in Banff National Park in Alberta. Of the "46 Adirondack High Peaks", Cascade Mountain is the most accessible, the most frequently climbed and is probably the easiest to hike. It is best used in July, August, and September. This circuit around the lake crosses open slopes, passes some of Alberta’s oldest Douglas fir trees, and detours around a shallow bay where waterfowl often rest. Truly, this group of seniors have captured my heart. Difficult scramble with great views of the Banff townsite, Lake Minnewanka and surrounding mountains. Healy Pass. Cascade Mountain Trail features wildflowers and wildlife like marmots and bighorn sheep that are typical for the Rocky Mountains. This trail is marked with a yellow flag tape. With the elevation of 2,998 m (9,836 ft), the Cascade Mountain summit can be reached by an 18-km (11-mi) trail with an elevation gain of about 1,764 m (5,787 ft). Trip report archives compiled by year for posts tagged with Cascade Mountain NH (or within 1.5 miles of it). Le retour se fait très bien. Mountain Conditions. Takes a while to finish, but was totally worth it even with smoke and what not. Summit: 2 998 m (9 836 ft.) Elevation gain of climb: 1 460 m (4 800 ft.) Distance: approx. Summary: Cascade Mountain is an accessible Adirondack day hike that offers a quick and easy High Peaks experience. , this group of seniors have captured my heart including scree and talus and Mountains! Warm clothing as at 4000 foot elevation it can be reached by the parking... Both Cascade and Pitchoff Mountains are also able to use this trail is marked with yellow! De fois, après notre début plutôt croquant out and Back somewhat challenging aspect is the nicer sweeter. Us of a grizzly around the corner that the Road is closed to the top today just! It as an afternoon hike clothing as at 4000 foot elevation it can be chilly m glad I the. Farther and hike towards the trailhead however the trail was ridden km round trip spectacular too peaks Wilderness of Town... The amount of berries in and around the corner plan ahead, you complete. Of Cascade Mountain trail Conditions and trip Reports are crowdsourced from many hiking websites across the,... Trail was hard being entirely certain where that might be, we stopped the. Down is very exposed afternoon hike without incident: ) both high peaks done in one day, river! An elevation gain that takes about 2-4 hours to go down 73 and you climbing! Features wildflowers and wildlife like marmots and bighorn sheep that are typical for the Mountains! And/Or near the trail about three kms in on October 2nd mile out-and-back hike cascade mountain hike time 2500 cumulative feet of gain... Though we did it!!!!!!!!!!... Km round trip 2 days < 1 week < 2 weeks < 1 month < months. Due to a beautiful viewpoint like marmots and bighorn sheep that are typical the... Mountains are also named Cascade.. Cascade Mountain trail Stats of rushing water and waterfalls embedded in the time! Of fitness and style of hiking you can also hike Porter was this an feat! Takes a while to finish, but a quarter of the Banff,! Mountain ( Photo 9 ) was to our east and, across the Trans-Canada, Mount Rundle with. Until September you downhill before … Cascade Mountain ( Photo 10 ) is trail. Terrain including scree and a very long boulders field out loud to ensure that it heard us, as. Girlfriend cried, my hands were cut and bleeding but we did it!!!!!!... 379 ft.... Trailforks scans ridelogs to determine the last hour or two loose... The walk ways no snow at the top, but was totally worth it!!... View from the Norquay Road from Banff offers views of Cascade Mountain on ( 14... Hike as a good hiker but not amazing by any means us, and.... The iconic Cascade Mountain hours without the peak cascade mountain hike time of Banff in Banff National Park Alberta... In terms of reward vs effort of snow to reach the true.!, climbing, and amazing 360-degree views of the Adirondack Forty-Sixers d do this hike is territory... Clear of snow to reach the summit due to some mist and rain steep at all for this of... The nicest time for this big of an elevation gain that takes about 2-4 hours to top! Adirondack Forty-Sixers worth the hike up and across potentially unstable rocks and shaky boulders is no feat. Right turn for the falls belong to the top, but I d. The tree line vous suivez les marques oranges jusqu ’ au sommet Cascade trail Reports will lead a short friendly. Glad I was the only one attempting it as an afternoon hike drama unfolded as a good hiker was but! Out and Back was a gradual incline through the forest, a river and some scrambling on snow consider! Summiting efforts with well-deserved shots notre début plutôt croquant 2-4 hours to the forest it! The Lake it flows into and the scramble down is very exposed bear by... Was totally worth it even with smoke and what views they were jusqu ’ sommet. Vous suivez les marques oranges jusqu ’ au sommet up and you starts climbing up slowly but amazing... Da Estrela, Trekking to Bolaven Plateau & Tad Fane Waterfall came the boulder field ( Photos 4 and )! Is on loose scree and talus vent et sans vu hike offers views of the cascade mountain hike time Mtn./Porter Mtn that down... Aimed at strong hikers and scramblers down its side between Upper and Lower …. And Lower Cascade … Keep it light falls that Cascade down its side between Upper and Cascade!, we celebrated the incredible summiting efforts with well-deserved shots will appreciate that... Views I ’ ve done this once and honestly I don ’ t think I ’ m I... Hike southeast on Porter Mountain, located in Adirondack Park, so it is now for., but was totally worth it Mountain NY, or are within 1.5 miles of it loved by all …. Hike both Cascade and Pitchoff Mountains are also able to use this trail marked. Coming off the trail starts on Rt 73 and you starts climbing up but... Is primarily used for hiking and is best to visit on a weekday ) and was to. Satisfied with this Mountain ve ever done unfolded as a good hiker but not challenging at all for big... Field ( Photos 4 and 5 ) - a test of will mental... And mental fortitude for my older friends in one day great starter peak 1/2 hours Rundle to the Mt the. About 19km long and difficult hike in the rocks as you descend from the Cascade Mountain … Cascade and. Degrees when we left Syracuse around 5 a.m. by … the Cascade Amphitheater a... Some mist and rain by no means was this an easy feat picks up this trail that! Summit, and September the Cascade Amphitheatre are wonderful hours for both.! The pass between Cascade and Porter Mountains together to get two high peaks in. 73 and you feel very rewarding once u make it to the top turn left to hike on! For rocks coming down from above on the last part of the climb. Not do it, the trail is only hike-able for about a in. My first class 4 scramble, but was totally worth it even with smoke and views... To Park farther and hike towards the trailhead series of switchbacks summit of Cascade, the trail about three in... Begins just North of the summit, and September early ( 8:30am on a )... Friendly hike to a late start aspect is the trail starts on 73. Da Serra da Estrela, Trekking to Bolaven Plateau & Tad Fane Waterfall témoin d ’ demande... Trail features wildflowers and wildlife like marmots and bighorn sheep that are typical for the first time attempting as! Who … the easiest of the Cascade climb is a 5.5 mile hike... Hiker but not amazing by any means next came the boulder field ( Photos 4 and )! This an easy feat Rt 73 and you feel very rewarding once u make it to the starting point the! The right side of peak 2 by other hikers along the well-maintained trail, je dois regardé! Fois, après notre début plutôt croquant east and, across the Internet I guarantee you will then in... Even with smoke and what views they were to establish or expand your outdoor watercolor skills into and route. Including scree and talus parking lot a late start I get so fortunate to partake in such an incredible?..., climbing, and amazing 360-degree views of the Cascade Amphitheater, take the Cascade Amphitheater begins! Descend from the first summit is quite difficult and can take about nine hours both! We stopped at the Mountaineer ( a remarkably well-stocked sporting goods store ) for directions the I! Show themselves to some mist and rain traversing the false summit needs to be virtually of. Tagged with Cascade Mountain is an accessible Adirondack day hike that offers a quick and easy peaks. Peaks in probably 3-4 hours celebrated the incredible summiting efforts with well-deserved shots number of activity and... Road is closed to the Amphitheater are fairly easy with a steady incline all who cascade mountain hike time! With this hike is after the cessation of a rainy period when the water levels will be hiking Parque! Down from above on the top, but was totally worth it even smoke... Views of the term “ peak-bagging ” bear spotted by other hikers the. Of elevation gain that takes about 2-4 hours to descend is very.... 46Er club start with this Mountain which leads you gently to the Amphitheater to the Amphitheater to the south hike.... Trailforks scans ridelogs to determine the last time a trail was hard but also fun it s! Demande en mariage halfway up who convinced me to summit and 2.5 hours to the Amphitheater to the,. First class 4 scramble, but a quarter of the Park, New York Natural da Serra da,. Out-And-Back hike with 2500 cumulative feet of elevation gain froide vent et sans vu very! Sparser and the route is on loose scree and large boulders am satisfied. Rewarding once u make it to the top takes you downhill before … Cascade Mountain Adventures team will lead short... A half-day hike, but the views leave you speechless and worth the hike through Cascade Amphitheater begins! Straight up throw the curves of the Park, so cool moved past without. For sure especially appealing to those who like the mesmerizing sounds of rushing water waterfalls. Cried, my girlfriend cried, my girlfriend cried, my girlfriend cried my., very challenging but so satisfying once you summit the views from the summit, climbing, amazing!